Help with Bostitch Nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acewoodturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Bostitch N88wwb stick nail gun on ebay a few weeks ago. Its a big one firing 50 to 90mm length nails. I bought it as it looked in good condition and not rusty. Due to a project lasting longer than I thought it would I have only got round to using it yesterday. I have a big enough compressor to use it ok and I only intended to use it first on my wood drying kiln to make up the frame. When I connected it up to the compressor it isn't working and all the air comes out the top air vent. I have done a search on the net and it seems to be an o ring or seal problem which can be resolved by buying the relevant kit. Although I have several Bostitch nail guns this is the first time that I have had this problem. It hasn't been stripped down to salvage any parts as all the cap head bolts are still stiff and torqued up.
Would anyone with more experience of using nail guns care to comment on this possible diagnosis or give me some clues to further check this.
I know its too late to get a refund so I want to get it fixed. I will probably have to get the seals kit from the states unless anyone can recommend a good UK supplier.

Mike

Might be that as it hasn't been used for a while the cylinder is a bit dry......

You can take the top off, push the piston down a bit and run some light oil around the cylinder......
Also make sure the bumper in the top cap is free to move......

It's hard to explain but easy when you take a look.......

Worst case is that you need a service kit which should be easy to get

+1 above, I got it even with my little 55mm nail guns when they aren't used for a long time, a small nudge on the piston. Last time I cleaned the cylinder and O-Ring around the piston with Iso propyl alcohol and put a thin coating of PTFE on the cylinder, then a little air tool oil on the o-ring (when the PTFE bearing solvent had evaporate, obviously)

It's been working freely for some time now.

Cheers

I totally agree with the previous two responses.

The problem may have been caused by poor maintenance in the past. An air gun needs a couple of drops (just a couple mind) of thin oil dropped in via connector coupling. I tend to oil after I have used the gun as I found that oiling then using the gun causes the oil to splash all over the work. This not may be so much of an issue with the framing gun your are using though. I just use 3 in 1 oil every now and then, which lubricates the inner workings of the gun.

Repair and maintenance of such guns is very straight forward and simple. Download an exploded diagram of the parts diagram for assistance in identifying the working parts (which there are relatively few) Just be careful as some of the parts are under tension with small springs. Not enough to cause harm, just that trying to find a small pin or clip which has been catapulted across the shop into a pile of dust can be frustrating.

I have repaired several nail guns, its a doddle. It's one of those jobs where having done it once it can be done in a fraction of the time next time around.

Give it a go, good luck.

David

Just ordered an o ring kit from the States. Should be here in about a week or so. Out with the hammer and nails which is what I wanted to avoid in the first place!

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Back