Help with an old lathe - Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnemtee

Established Member
Reaction score
I rarely make round stuff but have to occasionally when I need the odd knob or pillaster. and have used a converted drill bolted to a home made unit.- I wont bore you with that, but it did work OK
Now I have been given an old lathe , but it has a female screw thread to take a drive centre. Are these available? or am I going to have to find a chuck and get a morse tapered centre turned parrallel? ( or, I suppose I can make one from an old bolt)
Any ideas would be welcome, and. Does anyone recognise this old thing- It came with a Picador face plate.

lathe2.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/ ... lathe2.jpg
]

What thread is the headstock? It just might be the same as some of the older power drills that could be used as simple lathes, and which had some screw-in centres and the like made for them.

I've a feeling that there is still a Wolfcraft or Bosch version available.

I hope so Dickm. I used to have an old chuck with a male screw thread that was about that size - unfortunately I cant find it now, but at least that may indicate that the centres you mention may well fit.

Thanks or the replies - I have had time to do some measuring and counting and it looks as if the thread is 3/8" UNF.

Back