Help with a stained coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marknesbit

Reaction score
Hi there. Firstly, sorry to probably be the millionth person to wade in here from the street and throw stupid questions your way, but I'm desperate!

Long story short, I managed to spill nail varnish remover (don't ask) on our Ercol/G Plan coffee table and it seems to have stripped the lacquer, resulting in a 2 inch long darkened stain. There's other various blots and stains on the top, but this one stands out a bit more, because the finish is noticeably different with the missing lacquer. I've had a look around various sites and boards, but have seen conflicting advice. I'd rather not bring out the sand paper as I've never actually properly restored anything, other than the odd clean and applying teak oil. Knowing my luck I would just ruin the table. So what do you guys think? Is it salvageable?

*I just tried to insert some images, but apparently my account doesn't have permission to post links. I've got plenty of pictures, so if an admin could somehow help out that would be grand. Thanks*

Thanks very much for your time.

Mark.

Oh yeah also, sorry if this is in the wrong forum! Feel free to move to the relevant forum, if needs be.

Solid timber, Robin. It's similar to a G Plan Astro, but can't tell if it's definitely genuine as the labels are missing.

Hi Mark (this is in response to your pm to me)

If I recall correctly the rule for posting permissions is 30 posts. Simplest solution. Mail me the pictures and I'll post them in the thread you started on your behalf. Meanwhile do short punctuated posts in that thread to get your count up quick.

I will pm you my mail address. Ordinarily wouldn't do this but since you asked so nicely I'm even prepared to bet you're actually not an axe wielding loon :)

Here are Marks pictures:

Attachments

• marks coffee table.jpg
    marks coffee table.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 109
  • mark 2.jpg
    mark 2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 109
  • mark 3.jpg
    mark 3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 109
  • mark 4.jpg
    mark 4.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 109
Hello,

That looks like the lacquer/polish has been removed right to the wood. T cut won't do anything here, since there is nothing left to buff up! I think the easiest solution would be applying some very thin coats of white polish, which can be got from DIY shops, will cover anything, including whatever wax furniture polish has been applied, and is easy to do with a rag. Build up several thin coats on the defect and eventually let the polish blend onto the good polish left, maybe finishing off with doing the whole top with a thin coat. After a few days of hardening, apply paste wax over the lot with 0000 steel wool and then just a cloth.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

White polish sounds like it'll do the trick, I'll go buy some of that and paste wax. Thanks all for your input and advice, much appreciated!

Back