Help with a new spraygun for an Apollo 700 compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsb

Established Member
Reaction score
I've aquired a secondhand Apollo compressor, but without the dedicated spraygun that comes with it. Would any HVLP spraygun, work on this compressor, or do I have to buy the Proline one which fits the 700 model. If anyone has any technical information on air consumption or operating pressure the Apollo 700 produces, I'd appreciate it because I can't find any infor on the net

I am not certain but think that you can only use the gun for the
Apollo as it has a large bore hose from the compressor. Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong. Most normal HVLP guns are designed to take an airline which is 1/4" bore and fits into the handle of the gun.

Hi tsb,

I've been looking for a new gun for mine for a while now but with no luck. Most HVLP guns seem to be the same as normal spray guns. To work with this system it needs to allow air to continuously pass through, only adding paint when you pull the trigger.

I'm now considering the whole compressor and pro gun route which is looking in the region of £500 but if you have any luck finding a gun please let me know!!!

Richard

I rang Apollo up and basically you need the gun that came with the system. They haven't sold that gun for sometime and have a new gun out. This doesn't work as good on the 700. I've tried a different hvlp gun but without success. I've therefore sold it, as I seemed to be wasting time and money trying to fix the problem. I'm now on the look out for a full spray system. My problem now is -- Do I go for a new cheap system or a second hand decent system!!!

I think you've got to go for the best you can afford. We've both gone for a cheaper option with the Appollo and look where thats got us!!! :roll:

I was looking at these:

600525_l.jpg

and

JGA614_l.jpg

Only the gravity fed version as I've been advised it's better, although I'm not sure why!! :oops:

The above plus hose and conectors etc comes to about £500. There are cheper guns but the top of the range should last a life time... so the salesman told me!!!

Richard

If thats the 3HP compressor you had better make sure you have a good supply. I was told it really needs 16amp but if i plug it in to certain sockets in the house i have no problems, with other sockets it trips out.

I'd just like to give the thumbs up for Apollo kit. I'm on my second one. The Spraymaster was good but not powerful enough for WB sprays and I now have a 700 with a Proline gun. The only problem I have is finding a good spraying environment. I can't fault the kit.

I understand, though, that it may not be the same experience if you don't have the right gun for the turbine.

S

I have the same compressor as the above just in another make. Just make sure the CFM rating is above the soncumption of the gun you will be using and it should be fine. My gun is on the limit and the compressor is running most of the time but it works. This compressor will work on a 13amp socket and I have had no problems with it tripping out. As to the reson for the gravity feed gun, it is so that it can spray more viscose material compared to the suction feed type, perfect for applying high solids paints and laquers. HTH. :wink:

Back