Help upgrading my router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RorieT

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

19 months ago, I purchased a Erbauer ERB380ROU from Screwfix (1/2” and ¼”). It packed in this weekend despite being under very little load while cutting white wood. I cannot find my receipt to claim on the 2 year warranty and Screwfix conveniently delete your records after 18 months….. so I need to buy a new router.

With this one, I mainly have it under my router table. There are quite a few occasions I would have used it separately, but couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of taking it out of the table.

Looking around, the Bosch 1600 looks to be a great bit of kit. I really like some features which were a pain with the router I had:

1) Having two bases so I can quickly put in and out of my router table
2) Being able to fine adjust the fixed base using the key through my table
3) The constant LEDs (rather than ones that only come on when the motor starts
4) The ‘press to disengage’ height lock

However, at £400, its 4 times the price of just buying a replacement Erbauer!

The big question though: do I NEED a ½” router, or could I get away with a ¼”. If I can use a ¼, I have more options for twin bases (though most miss the features noted above). I cut a lot of oak, so I know the 1/2” gives more stability for hard woods. Most of the bits that I have are also ½”, so would mean re-investing for ¼”. Is there any real benefits of me changing to a ¼”?

I love the features of the Bosch, but struggling to justify the massive price jump. Any thoughts either way will be greatly appreciated.

A couple of second hand Hitachi M12V or a M12V and a M8V, they seem to be very cheap and are good powerful routers.
I have a M12V and two M8Vs.

Pete

I've got a Trend T11 in a Trend router table...i haven't used it a huge amount as i'm just someone who hacks at bits of wood every now and then at the weekend.

My experience so far has been good, it has height adjustment from above the table, and I've got quick release clips to that i can easily remove it if i need to.

RorieT":axel4w1o said:
The big question though: do I NEED a ½” router, or could I get away with a ¼”. If I can use a ¼, I have more options for twin bases (though most miss the features noted above). I cut a lot of oak, so I know the 1/2” gives more stability for hard woods. Most of the bits that I have are also ½”, so would mean re-investing for ¼”. Is there any real benefits of me changing to a ¼”?

If you're cutting a lot of oak I would recommend that you stay with a half-inch router in the table and get a smaller router for hand-held work. Personally, I would strongly recommend that you use 8mm cutters instead of 1/4" as the 8mm cutter has, iirc, 60% more steel than the 1/4" and they're normally similar costs.

HTH.

Neil

I have always used Dewalt Routers and Elu before they changed them to Dewalt,I have never had a running problem with these machines always reliable and you can get the half inch collett model for around £270 if you shop around.

RorieT":1mkzsmz2 said:
Afternoon all,

19 months ago, I purchased a Erbauer ERB380ROU from Screwfix (1/2” and ¼”). It packed in this weekend despite being under very little load while cutting white wood.
Have you checked the brushes?

Probably the brushes or the switch, I have a few cheap tools which have a dud switch which I bypassed the wiring

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to check the brushes and switch tomorrow.

Appreciate the info on other machines which i'm in the process of looking into.

Has anybody got any experience or knowledge on the Bosch 1600? Is it as good as it looks?

Hitachi M12VE is a good router; but I only use mine in table
Not suitable for freehand, poor depth adjustment :x

THIS is what I use free-hand, the dust collection is excellent :)

My quarter inch router I gave away
Half inch or nothing for Cordy :p

Back