HELP thread adaptor for a Tyme Avon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul1020

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
I'm after a thread adaptor for my tyme avon lathe the spindle is 25mm x 2mm pitch the chuck i have is an axminster which has a 1"x 8tpi thread.
So having no look and axminster do not do one

many thanks
Paul

I too have a lathe with a 25X2 thread. If your axminster chuck is of the precision type you can get a new backplate for it from the toolpost at didcot. I looked for an adaptor when I got this lathe only to have someone with a lot more knowledge advise me I was attempting the more difficult solution. The new backplate would possibly be cheaper than an adaptor regards roy

I've never come across a thread adaptor for the Avon (and I've owned mine for 25yrs now).
Getting any sort of accessory to fit the Tyme lathes is tricky now with very little choice. Not helped by the 25x2 thread size being very rare and even a tap that size is absurdly expensive.
As Roy points out, Toolpost do carry stock of ISO standard backplates in that thread.
If your Axminster chuck hasn't got a replaceable backplate you'll probably have to buy a new chuck and sell the old one.
There's really only two choices; buy one of Toolpost's own Versachucks that take that backplate and buy Axminster compatible jaws for it so you can continue to use any existing extension jaws you already own. The other alternative is Axminster's own SK114 which can be ordered in that thread size and is really nicely made, but a lot more expensive.

Back