Help ! Scheppach 260 Thicknessing problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Surname or what ?

Established Member
Reaction score
My HMS2600ci has just packed up while I was in the middle of thicknessing a batch of components.

Symptom:

When in thicknessing mode with no load the rollers and block are turning fine. When I feed the workpiece through it catches and is pulled forward but stops abruptly and the machine makes a loud whirr/clicking noise. If I stop the machine and start again without a load it spins fine but stops the same way a few seconds after I feed a workpiece.

I have removed both side covers and operated the machine. When it stops the chain drive for the rollers stops but the block is still spinning (I think - might have to check that again)

Any thoughts?

cheers
Phil

I don't know this machine in details but it sounds like it may have lost some teeth from the roller drive gears.

Usually there are a couple of gears plus belt/chain drive to reduce the cutter block speed down to feed speed.

Could also be a shearpin (deliberate weak link) that has broken.

Your manual should show if it has one of those.

Good luck
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for such a quick response - what a great forum this is.

The problem is, as you suggested, teeth on the roller drive gears.

P7170025.jpg

You can see at 3 o'clock on the gear in the centre that 3 or 4 cogs have gone over 3/4 of their length. Why that's happened I don't know. But at least I know what I need to replace.

thanks
Phil

Good Surname or what ?":18hac1lg said:
You can see at 3 o'clock on the gear in the centre that 3 or 4 cogs have gone over 3/4 of their length. Why that's happened I don't know. But at least I know what I need to replace.

Try Sheppach. I just found this in "another place":

I looked at your picture thinking, "why on earth did they use plastic?!?"

The above is dated a while ago though...

Look carefully at the one that meshes with the damaged gear. It is possible that that will be damaged too. Perhaps not by much but could cause early wear in the new large gear.

Cheers

Bob

Phil wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for such a quick response - what a great forum this is.

I could not agree with you more Phil. The time, cash and frustration members save each other day in and day out is astounding.

Well done Bob =D>

Cheers

Mike

Einari Rystykaemmen":2w69d64z said:
Looks like upper right chain gear has some damaged teeth too.

Personally I would replace all four gears and chain. :wink:

I thought that too but I think it's just shadows. That said, if I were ordering and having to fit two new wheels I'd be inclined to replace the lot too.

studders":1gp2wwiy said:
Einari Rystykaemmen":1gp2wwiy said:
Looks like upper right chain gear has some damaged teeth too.

Personally I would replace all four gears and chain. :wink:

I thought that too but I think it's just shadows. That said, if I were ordering and having to fit two new wheels I'd be inclined to replace the lot too.

It is just shadow. But when I find the price the replacements part I may just change all four. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

Yes, price would be a factor. I was assuming, wrongly, that being Plastic they wouldn't be that expensive. Of course from experience many of us would know 'it ain't necessarily so' .

:)

Phil,

Whilst you are check this out, have a look at the pins/shafts that the gears run on. It is not unusual for these to wear quite badly.

It might be difficult to understand but a plastic gear on a metal shaft will cause the metal to wear much more than the plastic.

I've just be trying to sort out an old KIty for someone else where a shaft has worn my over 1mm!

Good luck

Bob

I had exactly the same thing happen to mine.
Spare parts were fairly cheap, get the part numbers from your instructions and I will try and find the place I got mine from, if you want.
Rich

Back