help required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margin

Reaction score
Good evening all.

I really could use some advice. I am a self taught fretsawer but have got very frustrated as i have produced some very nice peices but i go through far too many blades and dont know why, probably my fault. Usually use spiral blades as easier and i do confess to only using plywood from the local hardware shop as dont really know what else to use. Any advice or pity would be gratefully received as would love to get back into it.
Regards Margin

margin":1s94e2vj said:
Good evening all.

I really could use some advice. I am a self taught fretsawer but have got very frustrated as i have produced some very nice peices but i go through far too many blades and dont know why, probably my fault. Usually use spiral blades as easier and i do confess to only using plywood from the local hardware shop as dont really know what else to use. Any advice or pity would be gratefully received as would love to get back into it.
Regards Margin

Hi margin, welcome to ukw, you'd be better off posting that on our scrolling board but in general terms i'd say that if you nare breaking a lot of blades common causes are

a) cheap blades - these are a false economy you are better off with a quality brand like flying dutchman

b) to fast a feed rate - particularly when turning corners, you should let the saw do the cutting not force stock through it, the tighter the circumfrence the slower you should go

c) wood with a lot of flaws or knots - cheap plywood maybe to blame - I largely use Mdf but others swear by baltic plywood

d) unrealistic expectations - I usually do a blade every 30 mins to an hour or so, so if you think you are breaking " a lot "of blades it may not ber anything out of the usual

big soft moose":1rqc3orf said:
d) unrealistic expectations - I usually do a blade every 30 mins to an hour or so, so if you think you are breaking " a lot "of blades it may not ber anything out of the usual

agree with the above here, didn't know you used a scrollsaw moose. anychance of seeing what you have done (over in the scroll section of course)

stevebuk":2d87x3qy said:
big soft moose":2d87x3qy said:

agree with the above here, didn't know you used a scrollsaw moose. anychance of seeing what you have done (over in the scroll section of course)

not a great deal lately - I've got a record variable speed model (there is a thread somewhere on my trials and tribulations i had with buying that)

I made a clock in the shape of a pile of rats for my sisters birthday last year - there is a thread on that on the board already

Thanks for the advice, i would agree with all you said. I am suprised at a blade every 30 minutes. Perhaps i am not as bad as i thought. Living in the back of beyond means i am struggling to get any help. I love doing it but get frustrated. The last thing i made was an A4 size portaight of birds and flowers. When i left it to get my tea after spending 8 hours on it, i got back to find my little dog had chewed the corner off to join in. Bless my soul followed. Thanks again for the help but i will try and find the scroll saw page if i can but my computer has attitude so may let me or not.

Regards Margin

Back