Help required please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosybonk

Reaction score
Hi im new to this great site and i was wondering if anybody could please help me with a small problem :eek: At the minute i teach nvq joinery level2 to 16-18 year olds now then i have been told after xmas im moving to another school to teach 14-16 year olds so has anybody got any stuff i can teach this age group as this is a bit new to me..oh there is some basic machines
panel saw,x-cut,mortice,sander,

Teach them how to make a casement opener or a door rather than a bloody wooden train or some other tat .
Im sure you will be told what you have to teach them when you get there :roll:
My fave under the CITB was the bullnosed staircase about a foot high , my mum was sooooooooooo proud when i took that home ( Yes i stole it , well i bloody made it :D ) Teach them something useful .

JFC":2sa932t7 said:
Teach them how to make a casement opener or a door rather than a bloody wooden train or some other tat .
Im sure you will be told what you have to teach them when you get there :roll:
My fave under the CITB was the bullnosed staircase about a foot high , my mum was sooooooooooo proud when i took that home ( Yes i stole it , well i bloody made it :D ) Teach them something useful .

:shock: [-X I would never do that :^o :^o :whistle:

I think JFC is right :wink:
Wait minute have just agreed with JFC :shock: :wink:
( I will get my coat ) 8-[

This is a project I recall doing at school - a kite winder. Has 4 mortice and tenon joints, and two dowel lengths as handles. Gives a choice of finishes, and allows a tie-in with the needlework (or whatever they call it now) teacher to make a kite as a later project.

winder.jpg

edited for typo

nosybonk":19zys6ks said:
Hi im new to this great site and i was wondering if anybody could please help me with a small problem :eek: At the minute i teach nvq joinery level2 to 16-18 year olds now then i have been told after xmas im moving to another school to teach 14-16 year olds so has anybody got any stuff i can teach this age group as this is a bit new to me..oh there is some basic machines

Can't help much but I thought there was quite a few rules now about kids using machines. For example, noone was allowed to use the tablesaw or P/T - but we were allowed to use the lathes, morticer, bandsaw (after "training"). With the lathes, you had to get everything checked off before applying the power. Amazing how many kids forget to lock down the tailstock etc.

Sadly bigger machines like tablesaws and kids don't mix, so I suggest talking to someone whos already teaching that age group to understand the health and safety issues.

Adam

As I recall, we were only allowed to use the machines when we's shown we could do the job with hand tools first, eg we had to make a mortice and tenon joint with saw and chisel before doing the same with bandsaw and morticer. Any infraction of the safety rule was punished with instant relegation to the hand tools, which we'd already demonstrated we could use (thereby denying us the 'but i can't do it that way sir' excuse). This was a powerful disincentive to sloppy or abusive power tool use.

nosybonk":1mevw5ll said:

A bit of a responsibility that! Get it wrong with that age group and you can turn them off woodwork for life. Fortunately I had a really good woodwork teacher at Grammar School who taught me a lot of the basics and started a lifelong interest in furniture and woodwork.

I'd agree about not making toy trains but it needs to be something that a can be completed within their (often short) attention span. Also the availabilty of materials will affect what you can do.

I'd suggest smallish things first, cd storage, bird boxes/feeders (seasonal) or picture frames. Make some examples yourself first to set the standard and work up a set of projects of increasing difficulty so that the more able always have something more challenging to go at. I'm sure the members here would be happy to contribute more ideas.

Of course if you're teaching a GCSE course then it is likely that the course will already define certain key skills that have to be taught.

Colin

Hi and welcome to the forum. You will I suppose, have to work within the constraints and restrictions of the National Curriculum which is a genuine, gold plated, 100% PITA so you can probably forget about any sort of decent woodwork and skills training.....so think cardboard engineering, hot glue guns, recycled MDF offcuts (been in a school and seen kids use the stuff, they had to work thru' clouds of dust :shock:) etc, etc. Do I sound jaded...hope not - Rob (ex technology, CDT and old fashioned once upon a time woodwork teacher)

Get em to design and make a simple chair, stool, cd/dvd/storage unit, bookshelf etc. I taught 11 to 16 yr olds for a few years at a vocational school in Central America. After the first year of "Industrial Art" as it was called (analogous to our DT, they were mainly taught basic furniture construction and indeed as part of their commitment to the course they were expected to participate in replacing and making furniture items for the school classrooms.

All simple stuff but allows flexibility on choice of tools and technique, and a useful gift for Mum or Dad.

When I wus at skool, among other projects I made a pair of stools with chessboard tops. My folks still use them 35 years later. My youngest is 10. I like to think he'll flower into a keen young woodworker soon (have to start weening him off the Playstation).

Ike

When I was at school - an awful long time ago - the head of craft spent all his time making an enterprise sailing dinghy, the bloody thing took up half the workshop, when I did an evening class at age 20 he was still doing it!

So I changed to metalwork at age 13 and ended up as a toolmaker - wish he hadn't been a sailor, and I'd ended up furniture making..........

Chris.

colinc":310dn7tu said:
nosybonk":310dn7tu said:

A bit of a responsibility that! Get it wrong with that age group and you can turn them off woodwork for life. Fortunately I had a really good woodwork teacher at Grammar School who taught me a lot of the basics and started a lifelong interest in furniture and woodwork.

I'd agree about not making toy trains but it needs to be something that a can be completed within their (often short) attention span. Also the availabilty of materials will affect what you can do.

I'd suggest smallish things first, cd storage, bird boxes/feeders (seasonal) or picture frames. Make some examples yourself first to set the standard and work up a set of projects of increasing difficulty so that the more able always have something more challenging to go at. I'm sure the members here would be happy to contribute more ideas.

Of course if you're teaching a GCSE course then it is likely that the course will already define certain key skills that have to be taught.

Colin
Thanks evrybody for your feedback and beleive it or not i agree with you all ,the idea is to take from school kids and then take over into nvq so as one person rightly says dont want kids to be put off,the issue with machines is if they have a tutorial lessons then shown practically then they only use one machine one person at a time supervised and watched closlely this is fine by hse,im used to teaching to nvq level3 standard so i dont want to give boring stuff as this will rightly put kids off
big thanks for all your imput :p

Latest posts

Back