Help required for small problem!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

The missus has an idea about making keyrings in, basically, the following manner:

8f0df10822.jpg

I might make it prettier, with rounded edges, some small decoration, etc., and the dimensions might change, but that's the basic concept: a small, squarish piece with a smaller square recess in the top to take tiny pictures.

The only trouble is, being a novice, I'm a bit stuck as to the best way to make the recess. I'm a bit poor with the router at the best of times, and on a tiny piece like this, I'm sure I'd struggle.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Keith.

What I think you're trying to di is a 32mm square recess 5mm deep.

It's not too small, kind of like cutting the recess when fitting a hinge.

That should be easy enough with a router and a template.
You would need to make some kind of jig to hold the piece and give you enough support for your router.

Or you could do it with a chisel, by hand.

HTH

If you are going to make several, it might be easier to start off with a bigger piece of wood, cut all the recesses first using a template and guide bush, then cut out the individual rectangles :wink:

Paul

I agree with Paul, use a length of wood and cut from there. If you're uncomfortalbe with using a router you can always use a shoulder plane.

Ideally if you use the router it would be best on a table. Do you live near anyone who has on you could use etc?

Waka":6x7kncr1 said:
I agree with Paul, use a length of wood and cut from there. If you're uncomfortalbe with using a router you can always use a shoulder plane.

Ideally if you use the router it would be best on a table. Do you live near anyone who has on you could use etc?

Well, I have a router, but no table. I did a prototype last night: chiselled the recess by hand and it was OK, but took a while and was difficult to get a nice smooth surface inside the recess.

I think you're right: rout the recesses and then cut out the individual pieces. My first production line!

Back