Help please! I don't want to waste my walnuts 😜

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petetaylor123

Reaction score
Woodworking Talk

petertaylor123

Help, please! I don't want to waste my walnut!​

TagsNone

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

[IMG alt="petertaylor123"]https://www.woodworkingtalk.com/d3/avatars/m/222/222774.jpg?1663774029[/IMG]

petertaylor123

·

Registered​

Joined a moment ago
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · a moment ago

Hi, I am building a waterfall grain bench seat 50cm high, 90cm long and around 40cm wide.

I will be using 2 boards of 40mm thick walnut, sandwiching a strip of maple in the centre (5cm wide).
However, my problem is that the maple is only around 30mm thick, now I have dimensioned everything up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do?
I mean, sure, I could just plane down the walnut to the same thickness as the maple, but I don't really want to waste all that wood.
The discrepancy in thickness will be on the underside, but it will show on the inside aspect of the legs.
Would putting a chamfer on the inside corner of the walnut work or would that just look 💩?

(needless to say I am a hobbies and don't have a full professional workshop, but I have hand tools, a thicknesser, table saw, routers, circ saw etc)

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Any reason you don't glue the maple flush to the walnut flush to the outside leaving the step on the inside? It will still follow the "waterfall". You can hand carve the step between the maple and walnut for some added visual interest. You could run a chamfer on the joints if you prefer or think it is simpler. Best I can approximate is. _______/-----\_______

Pete

You could make up the thickness on the underside by glueing a 10mm piece of another timber to the maple and perhap's a small piece of walnut to both ends, as it is the underneath and quite low to the ground it is unlikely to be visible to all but the closest scrutiny.

Edit - scrub that,i should have read the post properly , Petes suggestion is the way to go or glue on a small piece of maple at either end to give the extra 10mm.

Last edited:
Any reason you don't glue the maple flush to the walnut flush to the outside leaving the step on the inside? It will still follow the "waterfall". You can hand carve the step between the maple and walnut for some added visual interest. You could run a chamfer on the joints if you prefer or think it is simpler. Best I can approximate is. _______/-----\_______

Pete
Absolutely non at all! 🤣
Your approximation diagram is what I have in my mind.
It is my plan 'G.'
I think I am on plan G now, maybe H. I have lost track... 😂

I just didn't know whether having a step on the inside, middle of the bench would look...well...not the best. 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I think if I don't go down the, 'laminate an extra 10mm of maple to the strip,' I will chamfer/round it off, rather than a step.

I will post a photo of the outcome/impending disaster for everyone to chuckle at! (probably in about 6 months, with my speed of work 🤣🤦‍♂️)

Thanks for the advice.
Much appreciated.

How about slicing the maple in two i.e. ending up with two bits 5cm x (say) 13mm. Sandwiching something else in the middle to make it 5cm x 40mm and using that. This way you only see maple on the outside and only you know there is something else inside. You may have to cover the ends of the infil piece.
Have fun
Martin

That is not an expensive piece of maple...
So, if the piece of furniture is important enough - spend the extra and get a new piece to do it properly
If it is not important enough to spend that money, then just leave as is and don't worry about the step in it

Since it is going to be a bench you could put the maple flush to the insides and scoop the walnut on the sides and seat for a nice curve to sit in. More comfortable than a flat surface to sit on and more interesting to look at.

Pete

Back