Help needed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytim1458

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a lady who phoned me up today.
She has had 1 or 2 big Elm trees cut down for firewood.
Most are in big chunks great for woodturning or woodworking but too big to put into a wood burn heater.
If someone has a big van or something so that we can transfer the wood to my house I am willing to split the Elm 50/50.
My house is in Stonehouse Gloucestershire, her house is in Down Hatherley near Cheltenham Gloucestershire about 15 mile between the two.
You will also have to bring your own chainsaw as I do not have one and am not in a position that I can use one due to not being great on my feet.
You also might have to bring someone to help as I do not know how much or how big the pieces are.
If some pieces are too big they can be made smaller using the chainsaw.
I will confirm with the owner about the timber ie when she wants it removed by though it sound like as soon as.
I will confirm how many Elm trees have been cut down and how much Elm we are talking about once I have someone to help.

Thanks Tim

I know a guy who might be able to help - he has a van, and is an ex arborist so has a CSaw too - but you'll need to confirm how much elm is available BEFORE agreement, so he (or anyone else) can factor in time / diesel cost etc. He lives in Filton S.Glos 20 or so miles from you, but Down Hatherley is close to an hours drive each way from Filton.

It's unlikely to be elm, there are very few big elms left nowerdays, with Dutch elm disease they are normally dead before they get to any size

Elm might be unlikely in Gloucestershire, but the further north you go the less the ravages of Dutch Elm Disease. Edinburgh Council re-laid the grounds of Hollyrood Palace a couple of years ago which resulted in a few Elms being felled and about 40 tons of prime timber hitting the market...it didn't last long but I got a few large wide boards. Unlike the forest grown, straight grained Wych Elm that you find in timber yards this was classic park or hedgerow grown Elm, with fabulous sinewy grain.

Scottish-Elm.jpg

Here's some other Elm boards that are going to be made into an arts and crafts style bookcase,

Scottish-Elm-2.jpg

Attachments

• Scottish-Elm.jpg
    Scottish-Elm.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Scottish-Elm-2.jpg
    Scottish-Elm-2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 117
custard,

if there are a few pen blank sized offcuts going spare when you make the bookcase, it would be nice to have a couple of pens with provenance! :) happy to cover the postage.

Mark

marcros":3f3u4oez said:
custard,

if there are a few pen blank sized offcuts going spare when you make the bookcase, it would be nice to have a couple of pens with provenance! :) happy to cover the postage.

Mark

Initiative deserves reward, PM me with your address and I'll send you an early Christmas present!

I haven't been able to contact her today, she wasn't in but I have had the of elm tree from local churches they have cut them down.
She's was pretty certain it was elm but I am unsure of what her home is like.
I have to phone her tomorrow
Tim

Latest posts

Back