help needed with a tricky joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walney Col

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm in the process of making a pagoda-style shadow box and I'm having a spot of bother envisaging a good way or jointing the roof beams. This is the basic idea...
1.jpg

Where the 4 beams all meet in a compound mitre joint...
2.jpg

The trouble is that I'm not a joiner by any stretch of the imagination but I know enough to know that end grain joints are unlikely to last long.
So I thought how about a kind of half lap joint instead...
3.jpg

Which looks a but too funky for me (not to mention difficult to achieve) but even that's end grain to side grain and not likely to last much longer than the compound mitre joint.

So how would you keep this general idea but make the joint strong enough to withstand regular handling? The box has a light in it BTW and lifting the roof off is the only way to access it so the whole thing has to be easily removed. I thought about milling a slot across the top and inserting a stitch but then realised that the second stitch would immediately cut the first one clean in half.

*scratches head* :oops:
4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 380
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 380
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 380
have a transition cube that can be shaped in the centre. Then mortices the 4 sides for small tennons from the beams, the shoulder joint should remain good and tight even with minor wood movement.

but on such a thinking small piece 45 food joints should work. just work out ur angle.

another solution is make 2 roof members and have a half lap joint.

regards Richard

rdesign":j9wz4o8d said:
have a transition cube that can be shaped in the centre. Then mortices the 4 sides for small tennons from the beams, the shoulder joint should remain good and tight even with minor wood movement.

but on such a thinking small piece 45 food joints should work. just work out ur angle.

another solution is make 2 roof members and have a half lap joint.

regards Richard
Thanks Richard.
I'm not sure what you mean by food joints but I think I may resort to trying tenons.

Col.

auto correct doh sorry should proof read more was just heading out... roof joints it was suppose to be like a hip rafter joint as shown in your sketch up it will just be the miters might spread a little at the base with expansion but if the parts are small isn they movement will be hardly noticeable.

hope to see the picks of how it turns out and the method u choose.

It's probably easier than you think .
I would attack it like this .
Make some test pieces and replicate the cube to .
That way you have a 3 dimensional view how the pieces match at the top .
Being a radius curve you can make the pieces longer than required as you can move the piece along and start again with the joint .
Great little project !

Thanks for the input lads.
I don't know how successful I'll be but I'm going to have a go at this one which out to be plenty strong enough;
Pagoda Light Box roof Joint.jpg

Attachments

• Pagoda Light Box roof Joint.jpg
    Pagoda Light Box roof Joint.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 142
Good luck with this!

It's not something I've ever built, but applying techniques used in chairmaking, it could help if you start with relatively large pieces of wood, of ordinary rectangular cross section. Cut the joints first, and only when you have got them fitting properly, mark and cut the curves.

Without some straight lines you won't have a reference surface to measure or cut any of the joint surfaces.

IMHO those fiddly M&Ts would fail due to too much cross grain
I'd either
do plain butted joints with dowels, reinforced with a metal plate below
or have a central block (square or turned round) with M&Ts - this still wouldn't be very strong so would probably still need a bit of metal back up.

After a bit of faffing around this is my final joint design...
Pagoda Light Box roof joint.jpg

I've rough cut the parts on the band saw but still have to sand to the finished size and fit & glue the joint itself.
The tapered part are 3mm thick and 12mm long and even without glue there's a fair bit of wedging going on so I'm reasonably happy it's not likely to fall apart but if needs must a glued in vertical dowel should hold it.

Attachments

• Pagoda Light Box roof joint.jpg
    Pagoda Light Box roof joint.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 63
Someone asked for photos of the finished joint...
Dsc00340.jpg

Dsc00341.jpg

Dsc00342.jpg

Dsc00345.jpg

I'm waiting for the glue to cure than I'll sand the very top of the joint to blend it in with the side pieces. I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out and with 3 times the glue area of a half lap I don't think there's any doubt that it'll be strong enough. The wood is oak in case anyone's wondering.

Attachments

• Dsc00340.jpg
    Dsc00340.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Dsc00341.jpg
    Dsc00341.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 33
  • Dsc00342.jpg
    Dsc00342.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 33
  • Dsc00345.jpg
    Dsc00345.jpg