Help needed in SW London with Wood* ID and value (* & stuff)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.S

Established Member
Reaction score
I volunteered to help a retired (and vulnerable) antique furniture restorer in Twickenham whom, due to age/ill-health, can no longer use his woodworking tools/supplies. I bought a load of stuff and am researching some possibly higher value tools but a lot of stuff remains - that is either of no interest to me or beyond my knowledge. This 'stuff' largely consists of turning blanks/logs/veneers/planks and fixings (e.g. steel/brass screws/nails). There are other related items e.g. lathe, french polish, wire wool, hand tools, 40+ wooden planes, some of which is with me in Worcester Park, Surrey - where I can more easily evaluate it.

I have no knowledge of the aforementioned 'stuffs' likely utility and value but feel a 'duty of care' to prevent him being ripped off. I'm also running out of time due to an impending house move, so help would be welcome.

Is there any Forum Member who would be willing help me in viewing the stuff so that its identity and a fair value can be assessed/realised? This would entail visiting the gentleman in Twickenham (near the Rugby Ground) , alone or accompanied by me. I can be flexible - weekdays or weekends, but it will need to be daytime and outside of rush hour/Rugby match days!

Whilst it may seem presumptious, as I'm asking for help, any volunteer would need to divulge to me their true identity and contact details. In return they will discover if I really look like my Avatar and will obtain an undertaking that I will not stalk them :D

Here's a few pics of some of the blanks:
IMG_0938_sc.jpg

IMG_0939_sc.jpg

IMG_0940_sc.jpg

I omitted to take a picture of the other wood - most appears dry and dust covered but I can't tell if it's good or more useful to someone with a wood burning stove :!:

Feel free to PM or post.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0938_sc.jpg
    IMG_0938_sc.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0939_sc.jpg
    IMG_0939_sc.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0940_sc.jpg
    IMG_0940_sc.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 155
YorkshireMartin":dyhzsaha said:
The last one looks like wenge or possibly zebrano?

Thanks. Having viewed a few images of Zebrano (or Zebrawood) that looks very similar.

Hopefully, someone will be along to view the remainder.

Second could be walnut but it's hard to tell from the photos. You might want to consider posting some of the tools for sale on here if selling is the eventual aim. I'm personally after some planes and turning tools and would be happy to pay a fair price.

BearTricks":3c73hxrw said:
Second could be walnut but it's hard to tell from the photos. You might want to consider posting some of the tools for sale on here if selling is the eventual aim. I'm personally after some planes and turning tools and would be happy to pay a fair price.

Thanks for the possible ID on the second one.

The pics posted are just samples. I'm really after someone who could visit Twickenham (and/or me in Worcester Park) and view the various blanks/logs/planks/veneers available, so that an ID and valuation can be made. There are other items to view - from a large carpenters tool chest, many cramps (sash to G clamps) to steel/brass slotted screws to Mylands french polish and so on. However, too many to list on the forum.....

Back