Help in identifying a species of timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I salvage load of teak and afromosia from 6 school laboratory rooms,which had both teak and afromosia as worktops.The afromosia will show the interlock grain when you plane it.The teak can almost clog a router when running a bit,the afromosia is dryer but very stable and take finishes very well.

I think you’re on the right track with the first one,I would be inclined toward honduras which I’ve used before to construct classical guitar necks

Having stripped several school workshops & spent years building boats out of it I would say that all those photos are Iroko.
Teak may have been used for lab benches before ww2 but after the war most were iroko, By the 1970's iroko was standard fitment in schools. Afromosia is similart but tighter grain with an unmistakeable fruity smell quite unlike iroko.

Interesting information on the school labs.Materials for the school labs here inGibraltar were sourced by the naval dockyard in late 50s.Until they closed they had a huge supply of teak and I know they had acquired a lot of afromosia when there was a health warning scare with the wood and a a time it became unpopular and there was even a warning not to use it at schools.
There are two more schools which are going to be demolished here after this pandemic gives us a break.....unfortunately I haven't got the storage space i used to have,so I’ll be limited to how much wood i can store.
Thanks for the information Keith!

I'm still going through the timber I have bought, not really having a great grounding in identifying Hardwoods having spent my whole life as a builder I hope I can continue to pose a few questions regarding species, I think this is Oak, if so which type do you think it is and is it flat sawn or quarter sawn.

Gary

Attachments

• 1c - 1.jpeg
    1c - 1.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 16
  • 1c - 2.jpeg
    1c - 2.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1c - 3.jpeg
    1c - 3.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 14
yes to oak. the rays on the right hand side of the first pic is the giveaway.

Thanks for the confirmation, here's another, I think it's probably another piece of iroko, it's just so much darker than the other pieces I have.

Attachments

• 1d - 1.jpeg
    1d - 1.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1d - 2.jpeg
    1d - 2.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1d - 3.jpeg
    1d - 3.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 1d - 4.jpeg
    1d - 4.jpeg