Help!!! Hornets!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is biphentherin a registered insecticide over in the UK.
It is found in fly sprays and is residual.
Biphenthrerin is a pyrethroid insecticide. Most ant killers and fly spays sold in the UK contain a pyrethroid, usually permethryn or deltamethryn. Biphentherin does have some advantages over the others from a human point of view - a bit less irritating to the skin, but all of them will kill hornetsf and most flying insects, they are quite persistent so will hang around a while, so probably not the first call.

As others have said if you can ignore them or move them that would be preferable, then wash the nest away with strong washing up liquid and if all else fails use the insecticide.

A real shame to kill such a wonderful creature. As a beekeeper of 45+ years I will only dispatch these for people if they are causing major problems, rather than an inconvenience. They just do too much good for everyone. A single colony is thought to remove somewhere between 0.16-23kg of prey per season (midges / aphids etc). Even using a modest estimate, that amounts to about 250,000 aphids for each nest. They feed these to the young, they only really become annoying when they are on a sugar rush late on in the season and then it only for a short period around now. I have started to see queens looking for a place to overwinter in the last few days.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies.
In the end i hoovered up about 10 of them. 4 on the first day, probably another 4 the next day ( they returned within minutes of me opening the container ) and a couple more the say after that. I sprayed the initial site with soapy water, then peppermint water the next day and they left that site alone. They then went further into the workshop and tried setting up home in some wood i have stored near the ceiling....
That seems to be the end of it.
They were definitely native, not the asian hornets....

Back