Help for a newcomer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggis

Reaction score
First post as a new member.
I am very new to woodworking, although like many did it at school many many years ago. I have been viewing the website for a couple of weeks now, so I thought I had better join to hopefully learn more.
I have been assembling my workshop, actually it is a standard single garage, along with tools, machines etc (albeit on an economic level at present). I have built my workbench and some cabinets on castors for my machines. Due to the lack of space I require to have my kit as mobile as far as possible.

There are two initial things which I hope members can help me with:

I have been trying to assemble a dust collection system. I have the extractor (mobile type) and the hoses. As I would like to keep things as mobile as far as practicable I am looking for a supplier of a 2-1/2” to 2-1/4” adaptor so that I can just plug in to my planer / thicknesser and then when needed to my router table. Both need a 2-1/4” od fitting. I have seen the item on suppliers’ websites in Canada and the USA. However, one supplier does not supply internationally and the other just won’t answer e-mails. I have tried several suppliers in the UK, without success.

Once I get this sorted out I will undertake my first real project using American Cherry – a blanket box. I have the “planks” (that’s what they currently look like), worked out the design, cutting list and am ready to go. Is there any advice you can offer on working with American Cherry?

Thank you in advance.

Haggis - welcome to the forum.....no particular problems with cherry iIrc, looking forward to seeing some WIP pics and of your 'shop - rob

Hi haggis and welcome - Although I could be accused of being a bit of a cheapskate, I've had great success making adaptors using sheets of overhead projector transparancy film and sticky-tape.

This one's been in use for 12 months so far and shows no signs of wear... and it means you can watch the sawdust fly.
P9170089.JPG

Motownmartin, thanks a lot for your very rapid response. I did get most of the DC kit from Rutlands. They have been extremely helpful, however the 2-1/2" to 2-1/4" adaptor is not on their supply list.

Haggis

Haggis":1hqerz59 said:
Motownmartin, thanks a lot for your very rapid response. I did get most of the DC kit from Rutlands. They have been extremely helpful, however the 2-1/2" to 2-1/4" adaptor is not on their supply list.

Haggis

Isn't it frustrating trying to find the parts you need :x

fecn's suggestion looks a good one.

I was wondering if you could get hold of the same material Electricians use, the heat shrink wire insulation, I doubt it though, especially that size.

I'm sure someone who has had the same problem will come along with more suggestions like fecn.

Martin

motownmartin":sxbwui0j said:
I was wondering if you could get hold of the same material Electricians use, the heat shrink wire insulation, I doubt it though, especially that size.

The place I buy my heat-shrink from ( www.cpc.co.uk ) go all the way up to 114.3mm unhrunk diameter, so that could be a good way to go.

motownmartin":122l9cer said:
I was wondering if you could get hold of the same material Electricians use, the heat shrink wire insulation,.........

You certainly can

Hi Haggis, welcome to the forum. With dust extraction nothing ever seems to fit :cry: Gaffer tape seems your best bet :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I think I have solved my problem with the adaptor. I added elastic bands to the largest diameter and it fits my machines a treat. See picture. Don't know how long they will last, but they are easily replaced. An added bonus is that the portion cut off from the multi-adaptor fits the outlet from my tablesaw and my shop vac. Two problems solved in one. Hope the woodworking is as successful. Thanks all for your help.

Haggis

Back