Help finding a Framing Square

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcspike

Reaction score
I had a framing square (about 2001) which has now gone missing, I need to replace it but the replacements that are available all seem different to the one that I had. The old one had a lot more information printed on it. Can anybody tell me of a supplier that still sell the same model that I had? I have found some photos of it in a magazine which I have scanned.

Attachments

• tongue-square-r.jpg
    tongue-square-r.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,300
  • blade-square r.jpg
    blade-square r.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 2,279
Looks like a Smallwood No 390 to me - in my humble opinion it is the best.

Smallwood don't exist any more but G Gibson & co ltd still make them to the same spec.

Merlin

merlin":15v6ydj9 said:
Looks like a Smallwood No 390 to me - in my humble opinion it is the best.

Smallwood don't exist any more but G Gibson & co ltd still make them to the same spec.

Merlin

Merlin, you’re a star! I was just about to give up on this one. The framing square is an interesting device which I once used. Been retired from site work for a number of years now but still do a bit from my garage come workshop, but no big jobs anymore though. Just thought it would be interesting to reacquaint myself with the roofing square techniques out of interest really.
Thanks again
Dave

Dave, I'm sure you will find the new Gibson just as good as the old one, maybe even better as they are now stainless steel! and you still get the same green book with it.

When I first started I tried a Stanley square but found it unnecessarily complicated, then I had a go with a ready reckoner but felt like an amateur walking around with a book.
When the Smallwood appeared things started to make sense especially when the layboard cuts worked - never ceases to amaze some people when you cut them on the ground and they fit first time!

Cheers, Merlin

merlin":2rdp9h19 said:
Dave, I'm sure you will find the new Gibson just as good as the old one, maybe even better as they are now stainless steel! and you still get the same green book with it.

When I first started I tried a Stanley square but found it unnecessarily complicated, then I had a go with a ready reckoner but felt like an amateur walking around with a book.
When the Smallwood appeared things started to make sense especially when the layboard cuts worked - never ceases to amaze some people when you cut them on the ground and they fit first time!

Cheers, Merlin

Many, many years ago, I served a four year carpenter apprenticeship. I had my Sargent square, with values on it, but we had to learn the Stanley square-hours and hours of figuring out rafters that we would never encounter. My Sargent was outlawed!

Back