Help and Advice choosing a used Van

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Established Member
Reaction score
The time has come for me to buy my first van and I'm not sure what to get. By trade I work in shopfitting so need to carry 8x4 sheets, maybe sometimes 10x5 but I plan on working for a local builder/kitchen fitter too so might need to cover myself for carrying some other bulky items (like worktops etc). My budget isn't great, I can only really spend £1000-£4000 so will have to be something used, probably with some high mileage.

Can anyone help me with what to look for? I'd have to park on the road too, so something as compact as possible whilst being able to carry the bulky loads will help - so juggernauts are out!

What else is everyone using? I had a friend who carried a 3 piece sofa suite in (and on) a Nissan Micra before but I don't think I can get away with that! Any input appreciated, thanks

I drive a LWB Transit semi high roof with a Roof Rack , but no matter what you get it won't be big enough sometimes .
I also have a LWB Sprinter great for light weight stuff kitchen units and the like, but as a work horse it's not a patch on the Transit .
The transit will pull my Mini Digger whilst fully loaded without as much as a cough , the Sprinter wouldn't pull you out of bed .

Currently I have an MM33 Master but I'm looking to change that next March. I'm looking at either a LWB Trafic Sport or a Fiat Duacto L2H2.

We bought a new Vivaro last September and I can only see us keeping for the duration of the warranty as the general build quality is quite poor and everything feels flimsy.

We've had bad experiences with Fiats in the past, so would never consider another in the future.

I have an 07 plate VW transporter LWB and it's a dream. Drives like a car, excellent build quality and as it's the 2.5 diesel 174 bhp engine it's very quick and pulls like a train even with a 2 tonne trailer on the back.

It's my second VW and and wouldn't have anything else now. Downside it they're expensive.

Bob

VW transporter T4
Will take an 8 x 4 sheet and if you drop the front seats you can get a 3m work top in.
High miles not a problem, minds got 200,000 and there plenty out there with 300,000 plus on the clock.
And on the up side if look after it you will get your money back when you well it on.

Hi, don't get a Vivaro, can't wait to change back to a Transit. Would like to go VW but can't afford, as they hold their
price no matter what milage.

sawdust1":3cta361i said:
Hi, don't get a Vivaro, can't wait to change back to a Transit. Would like to go VW but can't afford, as they hold their

Would you care to expand on this comment? It would help the OP a lot more if you gave a reason not to buy a Vivaro :wink:

FWIW, I've never had any trouble with them, or the Trafic 8)

I'm in the same boat as the Op. But I have narrowed my choices down to the following

SWB
Transit
Boxer
Ducatto

But I think it will be the transit to be honest. Good room in the back for 8 x 4 sheets flat. Easy to get hold of parts and I can service some of it, cheap on insurance and dont cost a fortune to run. And they just keep going and have good pulling power.

MMUK":1jbzy7ka said:
sawdust1":1jbzy7ka said:

Would you care to expand on this comment? It would help the OP a lot more if you gave a reason not to buy a Vivaro :wink:

FWIW, I've never had any trouble with them, or the Trafic 8)

Yes, I'd be interested to hear the reason for your comments MMUK.

I've got a 2006 2.5L SWB Trafic that I brought new, its now got 120k miles on the clock and other than normal servicing etc, it has never had a single thing go wrong with it. I would buy another one tomorrow if the need arose.

I also have a 2004 LWB VW Transporter with 135k on the clock. It is very well put together and has also been very reliable.

I believe you can have good ones and bad ones, but it has nothing to do with a particular make, most of the time its just good or bad luck.

You need to decide what size van you need first. I've got a medium wheel base, medium roof transit (i'm on my second now) and find it's perfect for me. It is all racked out as I carry a lot of my stuff with me all the time as I haven't got a garage, and I find a low roof van is a pain to get in find stuff, so I ruled out the Vivaro and transporter straight away. I also like the length as I can pretty much park it anywhere, I think the long wheel base would be a bit cumbersome, although i suspect you could probably get used to it. The MWB has a load length of around 2.9m, so 8x4 sheets are easy and 3m worktops will go at an angle easily enough.

Your budget is also pretty wide - from my experience, a £1k van will be a bit of a dog, £4k will get something decent - although you'll still probably be looking at something with around 100k miles. The biggest problem with transits is the rust, the mechanicals are pretty good and the new shape (2006 on) still feels like a nice, modern vehicle to drive.

Hi MMUK, had my Vivaro now 2 years 07 with 76000 on clock, fitted new track ends, steering rack, wheel bearing which went on the road, had to
be rescued by recovery. Panels have fallen off, side door will not open, roof leaked, door leaver keeps falling off, gear box making excess noise.
Do i need to carry on. All the Transits i have had simply rusted underneath.

Latest posts

Back