Hello

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boabbruce

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I wanted to introduce myself and ask some advice.It may have been covered before so apologies if it has (I couldn't find it through a search)
Anyway I have been reading the forum and site for a few days and thought I would join in, I am a beginner in terms of almost everything to do with starting this as a hobby,I did craft and design at school quite a few years ago so I do have some idea of basics. I am quite excited about getting together a few tools and a little bench in my shed and getting stuck into a couple of easy projects.To begin with I would like to make a rack for some AV/HI-FI equipment and eventually (when I get the confidence :) ) a console table for a hallway.I would really appreciate some input from people here regarding required tools and any tips on planning.I will be mainly looking to use hand tools as I don't have much space in my shed for a workshop.I already own the following hand tools, (don't laugh :p):

Try Square
Dovetail Saw
Coping Saw
Marking/tenon gauge
Vice
3 chisels
Mallet
steel rule

I also have a compound saw ,sander, drill etc in the power tool dept.
I know it isn't much but I am just starting lol.
So can anyone recommend any additions that may be needed to get these initial projects underway and further provide a good base for future use?

cheers

Hi Boab, welcome to the forum. I know that you say that you mainly want to use hand tools but if you do much work with sheet goods (plywood, MDF chipboard) a hand-held circular saw and home made sawboard are really useful additions to your tool kit. I'm sure there will be plenty of others along soon with advice and opinions, neither of which are in short supply around here.

Hi Boatbruce, Welcome

A couple of planes wouldn't go a miss, for starters I would suggest an older Stanley number 4 and a stanley low angle block plane.

These are those :lol:
sno4abp_b.jpg

stanley-60-1-2-block-plane-1-12-060.jpg

If your rich and will keep the tools for life, look at veritas & Lie Nielson for some of the better planes.
:D

PS.... we love spending other peoples money on this here forum. :lol:

Boabbruce - welcome to the forum. A request for tool info and guidance will bring forth a whole host of possibly conflicting suggestions, any of which may start you sliding irretrievably down the slope, depending on how restrained you are with your wallet and the restrictions that SWIMBO puts on it, which is probably the more important of the two.

My suggestion to add to your basic kit would first and foremost be a good, sturdy bench of some description - nothing too fancy to start, but flat, level and at the correct height for your use (your inside leg measurement :shock: plus about 50 or 60mm) so that you can mount the vice. Second and foremost would be a plane or two. Usually a No5 is the first one to buy and I would also go for a decent block, either a Record or Stanley. Third and finally, a sharpening system - I use DMT diamond stones and a strop but cheaper versions are available - also I would recommend a honing jig as well as it takes out allot of the risk with hand honing.

Also do have a good look round your local second hand tool shops as the quality of older tools is usually better than todays new offerings, except of course when you start to wade into the murky depths of LN and Veritas kit...in which case, make sure SWIMBO is far, far away when you reach for the back pocket - Rob

Edit - LN beat me to it!

actually to really put the cat amongst the pigeons, i would not worry about
more tools yet, i would get some experience making things, and FINISHING them. start out with sheet goods which can be cut to size at
a local shed, then work toward "real wood".
find out if you have a decent eye, and what you want to do more of and what less, that will direct you to the tools to buy.

a bench can be easily made with the tools you have, and should help you gain some skills, and understand the limitations of what you have.

the slope which we can lead you down is steep and slippery, and coated with very good oil, so step back, and smell the sawdust before spending
any more. :lol:

paul :wink:

Don't worry about having vast amounts of tools to begin with, its amazing what you will be able to do with what you have.
When I started nearly 40 years ago an older collegue told me " buy the best tools you can afford as they will last you a lifetime" a comment most on this forum will endorse. Most of the hand and power tools are still with me after 40 years.
When you start on a project think about how you are going to carry out each part of that project and which tool is best for that operation.
If you don't have the required tool, decide if its worth buying (are you going to use it again). Looking at your list a drill stand or bench drill would be useful, along with a box of drill bits.
And don't worry about the space you have, this has been my workshop for the last 35 years and I have to get the car in as well.

ykog4h.jpg

ykog4i.jpg

http://shultzy.fotopic.net/

Hi there Boabbruce,

As the others say, welcome to the forum. You may have noticed that the guys here are really friendly, we have a good set of moderators (no fellas, I'm not after anything, honest!) who keep things well in check, theres always plenty of amateur and professional advice and you'll always be made welcome here. Jeez I'm in a good mood today!! :D

My humble advice, along with what the others have already said, is don't worry about what you don't have - concentrate on what you do have and build it all up slowly. As shultzy says - buy the best you can afford. When all said and done if it can hold a good edge, it will cut. Most of my tools are inexpensive but they work for me for now, so I'm happy.

And lastly, dont be afraid of PINE!! It's my friend. It's cheap (usually free :D ) and woodstains are excellent these days so can give really nice finishes to the lowliest of materials.

Above all - enjoy yourself. Each piece you make will get better and encourage you to do more.

Ta muchly

Gary (*gets down off soapbox for another day*)

A brace and some bits is extremley useful and powerful for drilling holes of all diamtere's also you can rough out mortice's with a brace & bit

My little blockplane is as versatile as a pocket knife, but then so are my jack planes (3), and so is my smoothers (3), then again so is my scrub and jointer planes.....

A good solid bench is like having a full time unpaid helper in the shop. Even better with a good strong vice fitted.

Steel cabinet scrapers are extremley useful for to get a good fine finish on hard wood's, deceptively simple tools but also very versatile and a joy to use

Sharpening is often overlooked but vital and essential Personally I prefer japanease watrestone's but as folk on here will swear theres all sorts of other methods that can be used :lol:

Hope this helps :D

cheers Jonathan

Boabbruce

Welcome to the forum.

All the advice given so far is very sound, I only wish I'd listened to such advice instead of getting dragged down the slope.

By the way pic's of the workshop is always a good start, it helps us plan the big stuff you could end up buying :lol: :lol:

thanks for the warm welcome and advice :D
I cant post any workshop pictures yet i'm afraid, I am extending my shed to allow the extra space so at the moment the workshop isn't there, I have only recently moved house so I am trying to decide wether it is easier to build a new shed or try and join onto the existing one.I am will be on the lookout for a couple of planes :D

thanks all

Back