Hello from Devon.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Nick, did you go in the hardware shop by any chance ?. Yes, lovely interesting place Chagford , lovely area. We live on the coast in Teignmouth. Cheers.

Just come back from staying with friends in Chagford. Lovely bit of the world, though a bit hilly for a decent sized workshop with a flat floor!
My shed (soon to be very small workshop) has a 1100 high retaining wall forming the back wall and just in front is another 900 high retaining wall holding up the ground infront of the shed. I certainly could have built a bigger shed if I had a flat garden rather than one with a nice view up to Haytor.

Nice round there, I was brought up in North Devon and went back a lot when my parents were alive. Still go once a year or so. Often wonder why I don't move back but there are things to keep me where I am.

One day you might go to national Trust Castle Drogo. Spend time there and look at the detail, if I recall the dining table had built in wires for electric candlesticks. The architect, Lutyens (not the German Ww1 Admiral one) was a bit bonkers. Place leaked like a sieve. But brilliant. There are good walks along the valley even without going in to the NT bit. Wooded, less exposed than most of the Moor. Also NT is Finch Foundry at Sticklepath. Isn't and never was a foundry, its a forge, but hey - water powered hammers, what's not to like if you like that sort of thing.

I know Castle Drogo of old - I had cousins in Drewsteignton (they had the rectory), so I know about the castle, the Drewe Arms (I even met the famous Mabel Mudge, though she was pretty ancient by then), the walks etc.

I know Castle Drogo of old - I had cousins in Drewsteignton (they had the rectory), so I know about the castle, the Drewe Arms (I even met the famous Mabel Mudge, though she was pretty ancient by then), the walks etc.
The Drewe Arms and Mable Mudge are legendary around those parts! My dad used to speak of her in hallowed tones. It was a proper "spit and sawdust" pub apparently. Before my time sadly. My maternal grandparents lived in Bridford as well, so I have fond memories of that side of Dartmoor and the Teign Valley.
The Northmoor Arms is another good old pub. In Wonson, just outside Chagford.

4 might be too many for a sharpening forum, using the sharpening formula x = n squared + 1 (not sure I can do a proper superscript 2 on my phone keyboard). X is the number of opinions on the best way to sharpen any given item, n is the number of people present. If n is 1, x is 2 (you could do it this way, or maybe that). If you ask 2 people you get 5 answers, 3 people you get 10 and the possibility of a falling-out, ask 4 people and you get 17 and the certainty of a bar-room brawl. Take care 😜

4 might be too many for a sharpening forum, using the sharpening formula x = n squared + 1 (not sure I can do a proper superscript 2 on my phone keyboard). X is the number of opinions on the best way to sharpen any given item, n is the number of people present. If n is 1, x is 2 (you could do it this way, or maybe that). If you ask 2 people you get 5 answers, 3 people you get 10 and the possibility of a falling-out, ask 4 people and you get 17 and the certainty of a bar-room brawl. Take care 😜
Dam i knew i should of listened in algebra lessons 😕

Welcome Roger, you'll enjoy this forum. lots of very helpful people on here. I'm not that far from you here in Exmouth.

Welcome Roger another Devonion here Great Torrington Devon, Castle Drogo is now completely restored and dry, my work shop slopes as does my house l.o.l

Back