Hello from Bristol

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolyon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I had quite a nice workshop until three months ago when it burned down (I wasn't paying enough attention to a laser cutter) and so I'm now gradually replacing all my equipment. The strategy this time is to go for secondhand but good equipment, trusting that it's well enough made to last forever, or at least be capable of being brought up to a good standard.

Hi and welcome, that must of been heartbreaking to say the least. Lots of equipment is posted on the for sale threads and at least you know it’s been in good hands . Good luck with your rebuild.

Yes - and dealing with the insurers has been almost as stressful as the fire! However, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and at least I am starting again with a lot more knowledge than first time round.

I’d recommend a couple of fire extinguishers to cover the various classes of fire if you have not already done so , as for insurance companies- 30 ish years ago I lost everything I owned in a break in and spent 10 months dealing with my insurance company- this itself was worse than the break in . Good luck and stay safe 👍👍

welcome - also from Bristol
I have a couple of lasers in the workshop, but am quite cautious about not using them unattended - the main one does have a fire detection system built in which switches off the laser... hope you get sorted out soon

Yes - and this was one with a laser diode, and not even enclosed like my previous 40W CO2 one, so I was asking for trouble. I'm wondering whether I even really need a laser cutter - can probably do everything I need with my CNC router

mine is a diode one (20w output), so reasonably high opportunity to set fire to things!
It is an interesting debate in terms of CNC v. laser - the power of a reasonably priced laser has increased so that they will cut, but you are limited to cutting and engraving - doing three dimensional work isn't really possible - however, the CNC can't engrave to the same level, and the laser has a thinner kerf etc. in cutting - so I think there is use for both. I have a small CNC which I am learning with, so may change my view as I learn more

Hi also from Bristol - are there some specific tools or machines you are looking for as I've been considering selling a few of mine that basically never get used - One of which is an axminster TS200 table saw I don't use - I bought it to replace a Kity419, but I use the kity much more often.

Hi - the only thing I'm really looking for now is a bandsaw. I could do with a router/router table but it's not a priority

Good to see the Bristol Massive out in force :)

I worry about loosing everything in a fire or from theft - worst nightmare.

I hope you get back on your feet soon

Latest posts

Back