Hegner lathe. Do you have one ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title really.
A member here is selling one and I am really really interested.

I believe their stuff is pretty well regarded but could do with impartial opinions.

Graham if you get Johns lathe which seems a great bargain with all the extras and the upgrade, take a look at Rays bench build HERE
I copied this for my Hegner lathe when i had it and still use the bench for my Vicmarc,works a treat :D

Thanks for that Paul. Do you consider the 1hp motor to be up to the job ? The axe 1628 I have been wanting is 1.5
I had previously got the Hegner on my short list but it was to expensive

With all the extras it's less than 1/3rd the price. If I hadn't bought a 1628, I would be fighting you for it.

If you are going to turn predominately large items you will be working the lathe at its limits, as woodfarmer is finding out with his APTC 1628. Even the pro demonstrators using our clubs old Perform lathe never complained about lack of power, however they weren't in production mode & tempered their cuts to suit the power available.
:)

Hi Graham,

The 1628vs you have been salivating over is 1.5Kw which is 2Hp not 1.5Hp, the Hegner is 1Hp.

I threw a 15kg log on mine today and it didn't shudder at it at all. I then went on to try a 50 gram piece for this month's challenge. (It didn't struggle with that either).

You know you want the 1628 really! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil

Grahamshed":x2wkemh6 said:
Thanks for that Paul. Do you consider the 1hp motor to be up to the job ? The axe 1628 I have been wanting is 1.5
You have pm

Phil

Sheptonphil":3n6ihm3s said:
Grahamshed":3n6ihm3s said:
You have pm

Phil
Thanks for that Phl. There is something about the twin bars that puts me off them. Don't know what. :)
I originally had 3 lathes on my short list.
Hegner , Wivamac & Killinger
All of which were a bit to expensive, then the Axi 1628 came along which seemed to have all the features for a better price but even that is going up faster than I can find the spare cash so .........

Grahamshed":1uyr4dx1 said:
Sheptonphil":1uyr4dx1 said:
Grahamshed":1uyr4dx1 said:
You have pm

Phil
Thanks for that Phl. There is something about the twin bars that puts me off them. Don't know what. :)
I originally had 3 lathes on my short list.
Hegner , Wivamac & Killinger
All of which were a bit to expensive, then the Axi 1628 came along which seemed to have all the features for a better price but even that is going up faster than I can find the spare cash so .........
Know what you mean, that's why I scabbied the cash on New Year's Eve figuring it was a loan from brother that I could warrant buying him a pint or two till I paid him back ( which I have now) rather than paying the increased price. I can feel your eagerness from here to start spinning wood. :D

Grahamshed":2y371xy8 said:
Robbo3":2y371xy8 said:
Even the pro demonstrators using our clubs old Perform
Thanks for that Robbo. What/where is your local club ?
There are two that I know of:

West Oxfordshire Woodturning Association (WOWA)
- http://www.wowa.org.uk/
Meetings on first Tuesday in the month at 7.30pm
Elderbank Hall, Brize Norton

Oxfordshire Woodturners Club
- http://www.oxonwoodturners.org.uk/
Meetings on second Thursday in the month at 7.30pm
Littlemore Parish Hall

Edit: Also

Didcot & District Woodturning Club
- http://www.didcotwoodturners.co.uk
Meetings: 4th Wednesday of the month
Freeman Hall, High Street, Harwell, Oxfordshire

Go for it Graham, you will never get a better bargian than that.
I have had one for 3 years and can not fault it (does every thing it says on the tin)
Never had any problems with the power,just use it with respect

Good luck
All the best Geoff :eek:ccasion5:

Robbo3":3nc64xos said:
Grahamshed":3nc64xos said:
Robbo3":3nc64xos said:
Even the pro demonstrators using our clubs old Perform
Thanks for that Robbo. What/where is your local club ?
There are two that I know of:

West Oxfordshire Woodturning Association (WOWA)
- http://www.wowa.org.uk/
Meetings on first Tuesday in the month at 7.30pm
Elderbank Hall, Brize Norton

Oxfordshire Woodturners Club
- http://www.oxonwoodturners.org.uk/
Meetings on second Thursday in the month at 7.30pm
Littlemore Parish Hall
Thanks for that. Littlemore is only a small village, lived there for 25 years until a while ago. Know the hall well. ( didn't know about the club though )

There is another one somewhere near Didcot / Harwell area as well.

Jethro":33jkz7z4 said:
Go for it Graham, you will never get a better bargian than that.
I have had one for 3 years and can not fault it (does every thing it says on the tin)
Never had any problems with the power,just use it with respect

Good luck
All the best Geoff :eek:ccasion5:
That is reassuring Geoff. Thank you.

Grahamshed":9a8lvgwy said:
There is another one somewhere near Didcot / Harwell area as well.
You are correct.

I have edited my previous post with the details.

1 HP is more than adequate for a Hobby Turner, any limitations it causes for lack of power are more than tempered by encouraging you to refine your tool sharpening and handling.

If you are doing something that is stalling a 1HP motor and want to up the power then you are into the area of having to consider further safety measures as to whether its the lathe that is going to win or yourself, not an ideal situation for someone new to turning and not having to make a living from the machine.

Latest posts

Back