Hegner development

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 42626

Established Member
Reaction score
The development team at Hegner are continually working on new ideas and updates. Here's an insight into blade alignment. They've confirmed this isn't planned for production at this stage.

Screenshot_20230826_180238_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230826_180307_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20230826_180323_YouTube.jpg

This way of clamping blades really needs a serious re-design it is not a good way !!
Most modern saws have tool free clamping,
Hegner has some catching up to do
That's a fair point, It's old fashioned by modern standards but follows the ethos of being simple and reliable. There's some very trick ideas coming from other manufacturers.
The arms on the later 2S, SE, Quick and P3 already have user replaceable blade and clamp mount brackets, perhaps something similar to a Pegas type mounting system could be developed.......

I’m sure that if they were ever offered as an add-on the cost would be H-U-G-E judging by the horrendous cost of their spare parts.

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpeg
    IMG_1426.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 0
I’m sure that if they were ever offered as an add-on the cost would be H-U-G-E judging by the horrendous cost of their spare parts.

I have an old Hegner pricelist from April 1992, a 0.7 blade clamp (clock key type) cost £2.61 Inc vat. Even the clock key was only £1.29
I have no words.....😂🤔

I have never understood why Hegners only come with one blade guide on the table, my AWFS18 has two, whilst I only use the V blade clamp for the bottom, it does make it easy to see that the blade is clamped straight

Attachments

• AWFS18 twin guide.jpg
    AWFS18 twin guide.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 08-48-32 hegner scroll saw - Google Search.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 08-48-32 hegner scroll saw - Google Search.png
    67 KB · Views: 0
I have never understood why Hegners only come with one blade guide on the table, my AWFS18 has two, whilst I only use the V blade clamp for the bottom, it does make it easy to see that the blade is clamped straight
If you are using the quick clamp (essential IMHO) then you only need one blade quide on the table, the blade then staying in the machine and refitting the blade in the top (quick clamp) each time you refit takes but a second and is so easy you can do it without looking. I have never in 23 years of using the Hegner needed to fit a blade clamp to each end of the blade before replacing in the machine. You can see how simple it is to change/refit a blade in a Hegner in many of my videos. But as I mention the quick blade clamp is a must.

If you are using the quick clamp (essential IMHO) then you only need one blade quide on the table, the blade then staying in the machine and refitting the blade in the top (quick clamp) each time you refit takes but a second and is so easy you can do it without looking. I have never in 23 years of using the Hegner needed to fit a blade clamp to each end of the blade before replacing in the machine. You can see how simple it is to change/refit a blade in a Hegner in many of my videos. But as I mention the quick blade clamp is a must.

As I said I only use the V clamp at the bottom, using the quick clamp at the top, my point being should anyone not have a quick clamp the two blocks as a guide is very useful, even just using the bottom clamp the two guides aid clamping the blade dead straight, where the Henger only has one

The quick clamp is a definite must have item, all 3 of my saws have it. I've just sold an M2 today and buyer is also taking a new quick clamp as well.
I'm used to the Hegner set up and don't mind the old fashionedness of the system. I know it's not going to fail me

So to clamp different blades properly you will need .5 .7and 1mm blade holders and a quick clamp
The cost just for these must be over £60.
Hegner must have a policy of “a fool and his money….”
Excalibur ,hawk,Diamond,Delta and Dewalt are all toolless blade change and all variable speed.
Spend your money on one of these ,for better all round performance

So to clamp different blades properly you will need .5 .7and 1mm blade holders and a quick clamp
Excalibur ,hawk,Diamond,Delta and Dewalt are all toolless blade change and all variable speed.
FWIW When I bought my Hegner 23 yrs ago I bought the different clamp sizes but they don't seem much different to me and I use any one with any blade without issue. :)

I totally agree the Hegner prices are utterly ridiculous, I believe the quick clamp it now about £34 with postage, I was lucky to get mine second hand for £15, but they are rare to find used

I have an Axminster AWFS18 Hegner clone, which is variable speed

I bought some new blade clamps about 8 years ago, so I could set up blades ready to use, they were not Hegners brand, for two of each, three sizes it was about £12 and haven't needed to buy more since but as scrimper has posted I don't find much difference in the sizes and just grab the nearest if needed but generally have the one in use

I have seen enough posts from users of other machines that you mention to know they all have problems at times

I usually stick with the 0.7mm clamps and a quick clamp.
Used quick clamps are rare but can be troublesome and need adjustment of the pinch if worn. The thumb wheel usually becomes worn too and the knurled finish smoothens so grip is reduced which isn't very helpful if you suffer with nerve damage or arthritis etc.
Scrimper has carried out a useful modification to his own quick clamp which whilst I've never done this it looks particularly useful.

Last edited:
I usually stick with the 0.7mm clamps and a quick clamp.
Used quick clamps are rare but can be troublesome and need adjustment of the pinch if worn. The thumb wheel usually becomes worn too and the knurled finish smoothens so grip is reduced which isn't very helpful if you suffer with nerve damage or arthritis etc.
Scrimper has carried out a useful modification to his own quick clamp which whilst I've never done this it looks particularly useful.
The mod on my quick clamp makes a big difference especially if you are doing lot's of internal cuts.

I never thought to add but a solution for tool free blade change already exists...albeit in Hegner style, basic but nonetheless still tool free.
All genuine Hegner clamps on my Polycut 3, early type quick clamp lower and the new type quick clamp on top.
It will fit M1 and M2 etc but you'd need to leave the blade guard lowered to clear, the blade guard on the P3 is much bigger so no issue.
20230912_130659.jpg
20230912_130644.jpg
20230912_130647.jpg
20230912_131835.jpg

Last edited:
Back