Heat marks on table top

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Kay

Reaction score
We have a 2 year old "Skovby" dining table in light oak natural wood. No marks or blemishes until last weekend when we noticed a whitish ring on the table top. We assume this came from a jug of hot water which was being used to heat a baby's bottle. Surprised that the heat got thro' as we had an old balnket under the tablecloth for just such an inadvertant incident.
The finish appears to be some kind of a semi-gloss laquer. Can anybody advise the best way to get rid of the ring?

TIA
Pete Kay

Pete

A sheet of brown paper and a warm iron. Just rub the iron over the brown paper over the water stain and it will gradually lift out the stain. :D :D

Les

Thanks Les

As far as we can remember, the table cloth and blanket were dry. In other words it seemed to be the heat rather than dampness that caused the white ring mark, but I'm not absolutely certain as the table had been cleared and everthing put away before we noticed it. So I'm a bit reluctant to apply more heat to get rid of it! I've heard of brown paper and elec iron for lifting grease out of fabrics but never heard of it for this problem before. Have you tried it yourself?

Cheers
Pete

Yes I have used this a few times and it works perfectly. I gave advise a long time ago on this forum and the recipient also had success. I believe that the hot moisture absorbs into the finish of the item. Using the brown paper and the warm iron lifts the moisture out by drying it. If that makes any sense. :wink: :wink:

But it does work just take your time and do not use to hotter iron to start with.

Les

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum

I can vouch for Les's approach as it has worked for me in the past. I know intuitively it 'doesn't seem right' but it does work!

I've had success with this technique too. Another thing that can work is to use a hair dryer or heat gun (gently!) to warm the area and then rub it hard with a soft cloth. i also have used both T-cut or brasso on white rings in the past too, again rubbing hard with the grain. Watch out if you try this on oak though, as being rather grainy you may end up with white marks in the grain which can only be removed with a stain - not what you want unless you want to refinish the whole table.

Bear in mind that whatever method you try there is a good chance that the repaired area will become a bit shiny, but this is usually easy enough to get rid of with some grade 0000 wire wool.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back