Dining Table Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Been a long time off the forum, but have finally made some room in the new garage and cleared out a lot fo the junk after the move.

One of the things cluttering up my garage is an old Dining Table. I think it is Pine. Now, when it says restoration in the title, this is no antique. Just a table that I'd like to use if it seems worth the time and effort.

The top is 1 piece 6'x3' and about 1" to 1.5" thick, with legs that bolt on to metal corner plates like this.

As you can see, the metal brackets are kind of falling off. Then end of the rails has come away, so there is not much wood left to hold the corner plates in place.

The legs have these threaded rods sticking out which go through the metal plates and then there is a wing nut for the other side. The problem with these is that I can't seem to get the wing nuts to go on to 3 of the legs. The thread may be damaged at the ends. If I wanted to replace these threaded rods, is there an easy way to get them out, and where would I find replacements?

The top of the table is painted with what looks like black gloss, like this.

Will I be able to sand this off and get back to a wood colour like the underside of the table here?

So, what I want is to be able to securely attach the legs to the table. And to get rid of that black gloss paint. The legs are painted turned legs, so sanding those may be a little more tricky. I could live with black legs and a wooden top. Might actually go with my kitchen quite nicely.

TIA as ever
J

Before you think about sanding it off, you may want to try stripping the old finish first. Nitromors is what people usually go for. Rustins do a product called 'Strypit', which works in a similar way. You should be able to pick up one or the other somewhere locally. Just make sure you buy more than enough!! :wink:

My first thought on those bolts is that there could be a burr on the end of the thread which is preventing you from fitting the wing nuts (nylon lock nuts would be more secure). Try chamfering the ends of the bolts to see whether that helps and remove any burr.

Those screws are called "dowel screws" and screwfix amongst other sell some.
If you cannot restore them as per Olly's suggestion the lock some mole grips on the threaded end and wind them out anti clockwise.

When you fit new ones put two standard nuts on and lock them together with two spanners. then screw it in with the spanner on the nut nearest the free end.

hth

Bob

If you are planning on using nitromors be very careful with it, it burns like hell if you get it on bare skin and melts rubber gloves :evil:

Smeg":15ssq9y3 said:
If you are planning on using nitromors be very careful with it, it burns like hell if you get it on bare skin and melts rubber gloves :evil:

Also you can get high as a kite if you wash the nitromors out of the brushes in hot water :lol: :lol:

Bob

Yep done that too. Also if you get it on your shoes it melts the soles and you feel like your ice skating :shock:

Smeg":38jzwg5i said:
Yep done that too. Also if you get it on your shoes it melts the soles and you feel like your ice skating :shock:
How does that work?
Does a spotty teenagers come speeding up to you stopping with about a foot to spare and showering you with ice shavings while the neighbourhood girls inexplicably find him attractive and giggle when he offers to teach one of them to skate?

Funny how a bottled chemical can achieve something like that.

Hmm, That's why I'm not a fan of the chemicals.
Here's me thinking it would be a good excuse to buy a Random Orbit Sander :)
Seriously though. Is chemicals a much better way to go over sanding?

Latest posts

Back