Hearing Aids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

As I am getting on a bit now. My wife had decided that I needed some help with my hearing as she was getting fed up having to repeat herself. OK went to the Doc`s to start the ball rolling. Got a reply waiting time to get on list ( 9months) so she replied to an advert in the paper for the Free hearing Test etc. after 2 weeks nothing. Visit ebay look for hearing aids. All the usual cheap bits which you see every where. Came across one that had a real digital hearing aid for sale worth a punt with the cost of a new one running into the £2000`s range, won the bid at £98 what a snip.
Arranged appointment at local hearing shop for test and fitting, reprogramming etc.
Turn up for test usual chat, history say that I have bought aid on ebay instant change to interview. Said he was not permitted to touch a none supplied aid and I was shown the door. Funny treatment I thought. Still no sale no money, I had expected to have to pay for the work I required less than a sale but worth the time I would have thought. A few days later receive a phone call re. advert could they arrange a time to call. OK tell them what I would require and do they do this? Yes they do and a date was fixed, today!! I have just had the rep leave so fast he was nearly running. Any idea what’s going on ????

Norman

Norman

I suspect that large profits are only to be made from the sale of fancy new hearing aids, not the testing and fitting of a patient's own hearing aid acquired from some other source. It's a business which attracts a small number of unscrupulous high pressure sales persons. My late father-in-law was pressured into buying a hugely expensive and unsuitable hearing aid. The company then wouldn't give him a refund when he found it didn't perform as it should have done.

Regards.

Hi Evergreen

Update!
arranged apointment with specksavers hearing aid dept. No problems
, Hearing tested, mould taken and aid tested. Go back in 2 weeks for fitting etc: Very good service received. remarked that he didnt want too many of his customers going to ebay as at that price he cannot buy them.

maybe a way out from the very high prices that can be charged by going private.

agreed with your remarks by the way. seems they have it all their own way.

Regards
Norman

Sounds like you got yourself a bargain!

Good for you.

Adam

Norman

Glad that you've made some progress. I hope that the final fitting gives you a good result - if it doesn't, nag them to death!

Regards.

Hi all
looks like there is a fair bit of intrest in this subject.

Update:-

Had mould fitting today with the fine tuning with the computer to program the settings. 4 modes according to noise levels. all went fine, fitted very comfortable and used it on the drive home and for the evening TV. great no prob`s. clear sound just as it used to be.

The costs. £98 with postage Ebay
£130 test,mould.fitting,programing.
Total £128 required 2 visits for fitting etc.

Told the cost of my hearing air retail £2165 would have included fitting and programing. of course would have had a garratee

Still not a bad win £2037 Down side have to pay for reprograming as required, was told the aid has enough power to see me out on the lowest level at the moment.

Regards
Norman

Back