Have you a favourite Single Malt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local distillation is a grain whisky, Cambus, of which I have a bottle - not as smooth as your malt, but packs quite a mouthful of flavour.
I too like Japanese whiskeys, although I havent found one that is as smooth/rounded as Scottish malt. That's not too much of a critiscism, and the oily/iodiney mouthfeel of the Japanese varieties certainly compensates.
As far as the whisky of the world competition, I am pretty sure it went to a bourbon this year (another favourite tipple of mine, after having tasted Evan Williams a few years ago).
John - Im glad there is someone else out there who likes rum :) My favourite is probably Appleton estate 8 year old (apart from a couple of fancier ones, but dont get them too often!). In fact, these guys have a spectacular selection of rum (alongside just about any other spirit to be honest) http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/

Cheers, Im off to my whisky cabinet :)

Adam

Laphroaig for tasting 8) , any blend except Bells to quench my thirst :oops:
Can't keep rum down, even in very small amounts :roll:

Too many to mention to be honest plus they all have there moment depending on time of year, weather and whether there is a cigar on the go.

Lagavullin 16 year old is a cracker and one I make sure I always have

I'm sure I read somewhere that single malts do go off once opened and so it's not a good idea to leave them hanging around.

That is my excuse.

Had a little bonus last Xmas...LOML bought me a bottle direct from Glenlivet of their Reserve. When it arrived she discovered that they had sent the wrong bottle. After ringing them up and them checking and confirming it was their mistake, they sent down the correct bottle. She asked what about the whisky that they had sent in error (a rather nice single malt), they said "Keep it with our compliments". =D>

RogerS":2rnm54cb said:
I'm sure I read somewhere that single malts do go off once opened and so it's not a good idea to leave them hanging around.

That is my excuse.

You could be right Roger. Last night though, I finished off the last of a bottle of Glenfarclas, 15 year old. There was just a good dram left, and to be honest, it had slipped my mind. I bought it from the distillery in 2004. So I was surprised to find it hadn't evaporated to the 'angels'. As said, I drank it.

I know a whisky won't improve in the bottle, but it tasted glorious. So maybe the cautionary tale was a marketing ploy, to get us to hurry on to the next bottle. :lol:

Not that I would need much encouragement with my Woods 100 rum! :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone for some nice suggestions to add to my 'wish-list'. It's nice to have these things in the cabinet, even if I do drink mostly rum!

Cheers..

dickm":qjtl5ul8 said:
Our local Glen Garioch isn't bad. Otherwise, Benromach.
But unrepeatably best of all, three litres of free Dalmore from a cask bought to make garden planters :D :D !

Dick, I was up your way with work a few weeks back. You are probably familiar with it, but "The Grill" in Aberdeen is well worth the visit for any malt fans.

Interesting question about whether whisky improves in the bottle. It does not 'age' in the sense of maturing once bottled. What is noticeable however is the way that it changes flavour after the bottle is opened, a deterioration as a result if its exposure to air. If you drink a bottle over a period of a few months, and then open a new bottle of the same distillation you will notice this. Sometimes it changes for the better, sometimes it doesn't . It's all a matter of personal taste. If it is left undrunk in an opened bottle for many years the taste can be damaged significantly. Doesn't often happen in my house.....

Robert

Solicitus":1p9640zd said:
Interesting question about whether whisky improves in the bottle. It does not 'age' in the sense of maturing once bottled. What is noticeable however is the way that it changes flavour after the bottle is opened, a deterioration as a result if its exposure to air. If you drink a bottle over a period of a few months, and then open a new bottle of the same distillation you will notice this. Sometimes it changes for the better, sometimes it doesn't . It's all a matter of personal taste. If it is left undrunk in an opened bottle for many years the taste can be damaged significantly. Doesn't often happen in my house.....

Robert

Thanks Robert. It must be that my palate isn't educated in the finer points !
I just drank the last dram. Lubberly! :D

The best I've had is Clynelish. At £14 a shot it was expensive, but I wasn't paying and was already lubricated enough not to give a toss. It was my reward for having to spend the evening with people I would have managed well without.
S

Reading the previous posts and not being a drinker(sniff of a beer mat and i have an headache to die for!!)
Reminded me that i have a bottle of Johnny Walker Red Label that was my late Fathers,now he's been gone 31yrs and he'd had it a few years previously,would it still be ok? What do i do with it?

Can any connoisseurs out there help

marcros":3qfyte00 said:
dickm":3qfyte00 said:
Our local Glen Garioch isn't bad. Otherwise, Benromach.
But unrepeatably best of all, three litres of free Dalmore from a cask bought to make garden planters :D :D !

Dick, I was up your way with work a few weeks back. You are probably familiar with it, but "The Grill" in Aberdeen is well worth the visit for any malt fans.

Haven't tried that - Aberdeen's not my favourite place for eating, and pension might take an unaffordable dent if there were too many malts on offer :( :( .

Back