Has Range Rover lost the plot ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mention the audi and the BMW, but I think you are overlooking the premier German brand in this category, the three pointed star!

There's no such thing as bad taste and anyone who thinks so, is seriously deluded and should refrain from making statements which on the surface appear innocuous but under the surface are anything but.

As the saying goes - there's always a bum for a seat. Same applies to this and countless things - folk want to spend their hard earned cash and think it's nice, fair play to them. Those who genuinely don't think the design does anything for them - usually say so and leave it at that.

Then there is another category - I won't dwell on those, but firmly believe they should learn to keep their trap shut.

My 2c worth.

Dibs

cutting42":qu6p7dxz said:
I am fortunate to have a company car and really enjoy choosing my new vehicles. I cannot choose a Land Rover (Disco or Defender) due to emissions, lease cost, and being unfit for business use - as dictated by my company car admin team. The Evoque gives me low emissions, reasonable cost and is deemed as "acceptable" by the car police at work. I have had 20 plus cars over my driving career and really wanted to try a 4x4. Land Rover are the kings of this market both for ultimate off road and for luxury so an easy choice for me. There is no real competitor in this market for me so the choice is between the Evoque, a Jag XF 2.2 diesel, Audi A5 Sportback or possibly a BMW 5 series. I appreciate I am very fortunate in this choice and I love the decision process, you are welcome help me make a decision - all opinions welcome

Its easy what not to choose :D. My opinion on the Evoque is in the same league as the Land Rover.
I couldn't bring myself to drive a BMW as I love Italian cars and I have always seen the expression British M.orons and W.ankers Club when I see the initials. I've driven a few and they were all boring.

Between the other two as they appear to be clones, I'd take the Jag. I still have trouble seeing an Audi as a premium brand. I used to sell the things and they will have to have come a long long way to overcome my antipathy.

I used to have a four wheel drive but I lived in the country and needed it to get up muddy fields and snowy hills as well as carrying the odd sheep or kitchen cupboard. There is no other reason to have one apart from fashion. To say they are inherently safer in normal driving is nonsense. The laws of physics say this. We have a guy locally who was laughing his head off as he sailed past us in the snow last year. I helped pull his Landy out of the ditch :lol:

flounder":ehl963h5 said:
You mention the audi and the BMW, but I think you are overlooking the premier German brand in this category, the three pointed star!

No I had not overlooked them, I have looked long and hard at them this and the last time. I am still quite tempted to a C350 but they don't quite do it for me. The E class is much better than before but just too boring to me. I had a lovely drive in an E63 AMG this year but the budget does not get close :shock:

gus3049":3qditlyz said:
Its easy what not to choose :D. My opinion on the Evoque is in the same league as the Land Rover.
I couldn't bring myself to drive a BMW as I love Italian cars and I have always seen the expression British M.orons and W.ankers Club when I see the initials. I've driven a few and they were all boring.

Between the other two as they appear to be clones, I'd take the Jag. I still have trouble seeing an Audi as a premium brand. I used to sell the things and they will have to have come a long long way to overcome my antipathy.

The Evoque is on the same chassis as the Freelander but is much more special feeling. I nearly chose the Freelander last time but it lost out ultimately as it was a poor drive. The Evoque is in a different league to drive despite the chassis similarities.

I used to be a BMW hater until the current 3 series (e90) came out and I drove it. It was love at first drive, I still hate the image but all is forgiven when you drive it. So much so, I am on my second and SWMBO has one as well. You would not believe the stick I got from friends and collegues for getting a BM, 8 years later I have still not lived it down. It would be very easy to get another as they are the best cars in their class for the 3 and 5 series but I really want a change.

The Audi's USP for me is the quattro system in the A5, other than that they are steady, even dull cars. I had an A4 before BMW's which I was very attached to but realised how poorly they drove after testing BMW's. The Jag is a superb drive, nearly in the BMW league but it is a little plastic inside and I also test drove the XFR supercharged and cannot get the V8 bellow out of my mind :twisted:

My perfect car would be a 4 wheel drive 3.0l diesel chunky looking estate car with a detachable bike rack and adjustable suspension for mild off-roading to track day settings and great residuals for a sensible leasing cost

Then there's the category of people (me) who are just confused as to what this 3rd category is, "keep their trap shut" are we talking about overweight people, bit fatist.

Oh hell Doc, you been spying on me? Dibs. That's why, as an ex (my wife says occasionally I slip back) Southern twit, I came 'home' when I came to Yorkshire 12 years ago. Sigh...

doctor Bob":273tnfas said:
Then there's the category of people (me) who are just confused as to what this 3rd category is, "keep their trap shut" are we talking about overweight people, bit fatist.

Priceless Doc!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back