Has anyone got any experience with the thinner laminate tops

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldeneyedmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone got any experience with the thinner laminate tops (12mm to 20 odd mm or so), what are they like in the flesh?

Trying to provide a more contemporary look without the price of solid surface or granite and this seems to fit the bill. But never actually used them myself.

Any tips on who to use and experience of fitting would be great.

Thank you very much you wise folk you. Cheers _Dan

Cutting and machining it is really tough on your blades and cutters....

It only gets glued to the cabinets, no mechanical fixings.....

Any joints are glued with 2 pack epoxy type adhesive....

The material itself is available in a variety of colours, but be aware that the surface finish is just that, a surface finish.... The core of the material is a Solid colour (Black, Grey etc, depending on the colour of the laminate chosen). When the edges are cut, for example, the front edges, you will need to sand/polish the edges to get a decent finish and remove the machining marks.

You will also need to double check the depth of any Hob that you may be planning on using to ensure you have enough clearance below it as most Hobs are designed to be fitted in 40mm or 30mm thick worktops....

It is a heavy and dense material even at this thickness, so don't be surprised by its weight when you try and pick it up....The example below is 12.5mm thick.

20171007_122222.jpg

20171007_122244.jpg

Above are a few pictures showing a sample board in my Showroom from the manufacturer that I use and a close up of the factory edge that would need to be sanded and polished to achieve a good finish. You can clearly see the Tram lines in the factory finished edges above....

I hope this all helps in your decision.

Tim.

Attachments

• 20171007_122222.jpg
    20171007_122222.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 139
  • 20171007_122244.jpg
    20171007_122244.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 139
Distinterior":3mr4z8vi said:
Cutting and machining it is really tough on your blades and cutters....

It only gets glued to the cabinets, no mechanical fixings.....

Any joints are glued with 2 pack epoxy type adhesive....

The material itself is available in a variety of colours, but be aware that the surface finish is just that, a surface finish.... The core of the material is a Solid colour (Black, Grey etc, depending on the colour of the laminate chosen). When the edges are cut, for example, the front edges, you will need to sand/polish the edges to get a decent finish and remove the machining marks.

You will also need to double check the depth of any Hob that you may be planning on using to ensure you have enough clearance below it as most Hobs are designed to be fitted in 40mm or 30mm thick worktops....

It is a heavy and dense material even at this thickness, so don't be surprised by its weight when you try and pick it up....The example below is 12.5mm thick.

View attachment 20171007

View attachment 20171007

Above are a few pictures showing a sample board in my Showroom from the manufacturer that I use and a close up of the factory edge that would need to be sanded and polished to achieve a good finish. You can clearly see the Tram lines in the factory finished edges above....

I hope this all helps in your decision.

Tim.

Are you sure your pictures above are of laminated worktops? They seem to be solid composite worktops to me.

Distinterior":2med7nvu said:
They are solid laminate worktops.

I assumed this was what the OP was asking about...?

No offence, but I have always thought of solid worktops being one core material throughout the thickness and Laminated as being made up of more than one layer of material. I would think that you could describe a worktop as being laminated or solid but solid laminated is confusing. Plywood is laminated but I would not describe it as solid laminated. I may be being petty but I'd like to be corrected if anyone knows better?

I would call your worktops: A high density, composite material that have a solid construction throughout.

meccarroll":14g6wkj1 said:
Distinterior":14g6wkj1 said:

No offence, but I have always thought of solid worktops being one core material throughout the thickness and Laminated as being made up of more than one layer of material. I would think that you could describe a worktop as being laminated or solid but solid laminated is confusing. Plywood is laminated but I would not describe it as solid laminated. I may be being petty but I'd like to be corrected if anyone knows better?

I would call your worktops: A high density, composite material that have a solid construction throughout.

Just made quick check and it looks like it has an MDF core so is laminated. But also looks like quite a useful material for shop-fitting, Bathrooms, kitchens etc.

meccarroll":2zxjeac0 said:
Distinterior":2zxjeac0 said:

It does not have an MDF core!......It is a solid resin laminate with a decorative laminate surface on the top and bottom. You would not be able to seperate the top and bottom material from the core in the same way as you could with a plywood laminate..... I hope that helps!

Take a closer look at the 1st picture......The manufacturers literature states it is a "Solid Laminate"

Distinterior":7qpyvitq said:
meccarroll":7qpyvitq said:
Distinterior":7qpyvitq said:

It does not have an MDF core!......It is a solid resin laminate with a decorative laminate surface on the top and bottom. You would not be able to seperate the top and bottom material from the core in the same way as you could with a plywood laminate..... I hope that helps!

Take a closer look at the 1st picture......The manufacturers literature states it is a "Solid Laminate"

Yes sorry, I stand corrected on this as the one you are showing the work-surface range that has a laminated core that is is made up from: layers of Kraft Paper , impregnated, with phenolic resin and a melamine impregnated surface. They do also however offer an panel with an MDF core that has a decorative finish on the surface for use as an up-stand to match the work-surface.

Latest posts

Back