has anybody used Screwfix No nonsense wood preservative?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Screwfix have no nonsense green wood preservative for £14.49 per 5 litres and a clear version for £16.65 which is way cheaper than the big name alternatives. However if it's rubbish then it would be a real waste of money, time (and my shed if it rots).
Does anyone have experience of this stuff? Or is there another alternative without spending £30 a gallon?

K

I've never used it. But I'd say it would be ok, I've found the no nonsense branded stuff alright. The varnish is actually pretty good. It's one of those things though, you'll only find out its rubbish when it's too late.

Isn't the clear just a normal preservative and needs a further protective coat of something on top?

What I usually do is really soak the wood with a spirit based preservative which really soaks in and hopefully prevents the wood from succumbing to damage from insects or fungal rot. Where possible I soak the ends by standing the wood in a bucket of preservative for half an hour. I don't use a further coat unless it's for decorative purposes, then I use things like Danish oil, varnish or paint. On my shed I wouldn't normally put a further coat on, just relying on the preservative. However at somewhere around £28 per gallon, this can work out quite expensive.

I've tried a water based preservative as well, that was last summer so I don't know about how effective it will be. Has anyone tried water based preservative? Doesn't smell as bad at least.

K

Latest posts

Back