Has any one any idea's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

as to why my computer monitor would suddenly (in an instant) get a pink cast? is there a way to solve this or is it possible my monotor (or computer) is broken?? I do not understand how they work, any helpful tips would be very welcome :lol:
ps the little face's with smiles, etc are a vivid shade of red/orange not the usual yellow, but anything that is normally blue seems relitively unchanged??
cheers Jonathan :D

Hi J,

I had a monitor that used to flicker pink randomly. Might have been just a dry solder joint but I just replaced it with a larger CRT (good secondhand bargains to be had these days as everyone is chucking perfectly serviceable tellies and monitors to make room for the must-have flat screen version). Could be worth eyeballing the PCBs and solder joints in general as it could be very obvious but there again it might not in which case a trip to the tip would be in order.

cheers,

Ike

Sometimes it's just a loose or damaged plug - try taking out the plug or plugs between computer and monitor and checking whether any of the pins are bent over. They are easy to straighten out again with pointed pliers, but do it gently or the pin can snap off.

Can offer you, free of charge, a brand new 18" Trinitron monitor if you're in the Bristol/Somerset area.

John

First try leaving it totally disconnected for a few hours if no change replace with a friends screen to prove if its the graphics card/mother board or the screen at fault.

I've had the same problem, caused in my case by a dry joint on a circuit board inside the monitor.

If I was in your position, I would firstly try checking the video lead is firmly plugged in at the computer end (and the monitor end, if there is a connector there).

If that doesn't fix it, I would simply look to replace the monitor, unless it is in some way special or unusual. There seems to be a huge amount of used, but working, CRT monitors available free or cheap these days.

If you're not local to the other members who have made kind offers already, you could see if you have a local FreeCycle group. These are discussion groups in which people freely exchange spare/unwanted items, and at least in my local groups monitors are frequently offered.

Hope that's of help.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Jonathan,

I think you are losing the green signal between the graphics card and the monitor. :(
It could be a loose connector, a lead going open circuit or a dry joint inside the monitor. I would first try removing the video lead, clean the pins carefully with an old dry tooth brush and plug it back in. If it does it again the try jiggering the lead I have had monitor in the past that had a dodgy wire in the lead that could be coaxed to work for another year by doing that. :shock:
If it really is the monitor dieing then I have a 17" CRT monitor that we no longer use as I bought a TFT screen, give me a shout and I will dig it out. If it still works OK you are welcome to have it. :D

I must say a big thankyou for all your advice and kind offers =D> .
I am pleased to report that "service as normal" was restored just by waggling the lead (well actually just by me moving the computer forwards to inspect and replug the connection as was sudgested) So for the time being at least theres life in the old screen yet!!
Again a big thank you to everyone cheers Jonathan :lol:

PS pardon my obvious lack of knowledge but what is the difference between CRT and TFT. The one I have at the monet is flat about the size of a laptop, on a stand??
If I did have to get another what would be the best sort to get?

mr spanton":2ipuy5sa said:
PS pardon my obvious lack of knowledge but what is the difference between CRT and TFT. The one I have at the monet is flat about the size of a laptop, on a stand??

I like it when I can answer the questions. :D

Cathode Ray Tube is the old sort that looks like a traditional telly, monitor is deep front to back, is heavy due to the big glass tube full of vacuum, has lots of volts inside to make it work and takes time to warn up, also runs hot.

Thick Film Transistor is the sort that used to cost lots and was only used on laptops due to the cost. Have come down in price as the volume made has gone up. Use less power, take up less desk space, but the quality can be a problem on some and very cheap ones are not for high speed games, good job I don't play any.

mr spanton":2ipuy5sa said:
If I did have to get another what would be the best sort to get?
If you have a TFT you will find using a CRT will need lots more space. :twisted:

I am pleased it is sorted. 8)

Thanx Dave 8)
I reckon this one is TFT as it is only about an inch thick.
cheers Jonathan :D

Could be graphics card overheating, if the card(if you have one)has an onboard fan,check to see if its cloged or stopped,

Its THIN Film Transistor. If you have problems with computers always try the cheapest option first you would be surprised how many are solved by faulty cables or connections.

Back