harvey industies Deft saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would anyone want to purchase a new saw at a resonable price?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• maybe, depending on cost?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ciscoeuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all heres a few pics to wet you appitite of the newer version of an old favorite DEFT saw, that use to be supplied by Lyndhurst who has now sadly bit the dust.

i have spoken to Jack Xu (MD) of harvey's who make the DEft saw which is a the same model as laguna tools USA, they make for grizzly USA, (deft with a bear suit) and a few others, to drop a few hints,

the saw comes in CE reg version in 2 sizes 30" table or a 50" version with mobile base as standard and comes with a 5 year manufacturers machine warrenty

DEFTTableSaw.jpg

old faithfull

RouterTablewithFencesetuponcabinets.jpg

the new router insert

workingstation11-1.jpg

the new version with all the addons

Saw brochures
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jodjhoktriw/HW110LG pdf.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zm5znozen2o/band saw pdf.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1t5ghhmzgmg/panel saw pdf.pdf

further info to be posted on the import process and cost involved

all the best

It would also depend on who the importers were because after Lyndhurst people are going to be very wary about who they hand their hard earned cash over to. :lol:

By The way where are Harveys based?

EDIT: Your pictures links will not open.

Cheers

Mike

head clansman":377b4fb7 said:
hi

interesting, when the rest of info going to be posted please .hc

all info will be posted soon still in talks with the chap, he actually phone me today we had a good chat and sort a few things out

Mike.C":36vxtyd9 said:
By The way where are Harveys based?

EDIT: Your pictures links will not open.

Cheers

Mike

harvey are in china

links are to dwnload pdf files pisc are posted

I really do hope this works out for you Ciscoeuk.

To me the risks are enormous and the cost saving is just not great enough to balance against the risks.

I feel it will be essential for your protection to have a contract with each prospective purchaser passing on the financial risk to them.

I really do think you should take professional advice.

You could get some real quality British cast iron for less than the sums I've seen being bandied around.

Sincere Best Wishes

Bob

9fingers":174hifbe said:
1 - I feel it will be essential for your protection to have a contract with each prospective purchaser passing on the financial risk to them.

2 - You could get some real quality British cast iron for less than the sums I've seen being bandied around.

Sincere Best Wishes

Bob

hi bob

if you don't take risk now and then you will never know

1 - that was my intention the customer pick up all the financial risk

2 - i do now ahout british iron but where can you pay £1000 for a modern tablesaw thats take a dado cutter, used wadkins are hard to find in good condition and in 240 volt 3hp all the best

I don't wish to offend you cisco. But I'd not want to deal with this through you. You've been around here five minutes and have no business to back you up.

I suggest anyone consider this before passing a huge amount of money to someone you don't know.

If I was to import one of these machines, I'd do it myself and have myself to blame if it all went wrong.

ciscoeuk":3fc3ayse said:

As a potential customer why on earth would I buy something from you based on that statement. So if it falls off the boat, or is damaged in transit, or your warehouse is burgled, or you get the sums wrong and the business folds, I am loose the money I pay you up front in so that you can test if a business model just shown to fail repeatedly will work this time...

Sorry, but the risk/reward equation does not stack up in your favour. As a customer I do not care about your trials and tribulations in getting stock into the country, the only thing I care about is that when I order something it gets from your warehouse to my workshop, everything else is your problem.

ciscoeuk":3qk6f1ge said:
9fingers":3qk6f1ge said:
1 - I feel it will be essential for your protection to have a contract with each prospective purchaser passing on the financial risk to them.

2 - You could get some real quality British cast iron for less than the sums I've seen being bandied around.

Sincere Best Wishes

Bob

hi bob

if you don't take risk now and then you will never know

2 - i do now ahout british iron but where can you pay £1000 for a modern tablesaw thats take a dado cutter, used wadkins are hard to find in good condition and in 240 volt 3hp all the best

The customer takes all the financial risk :?: Can you explain what you personally mean by this? I suspect its, "You pays your money you takes your chance." And whats the difference between this and Lyndhurst?

The dreaded dado head cutter, what so good about a saw that can take one of these?
Woodford sell the Xcalibur which takes a dado, but they are not much good in a pro shop unless you can get a CE mark, and according to HSE, you will not be able to get this unless you can fit a brake that stops the dado within 10 seconds.

IMHO you have lost plenty of customers already. The way I understood you on the Lyndhurst thread, was that a few members were going to get together and through you (for a small charge of £50) save some money by importing a few saws, but it now looks like you want to run it a business WHERE THE CUSTOMER RISKS ALL THEIR MONEY.

No thank you

Mike

Cisco

I think you're pi$$in in the wind with this one.

Nobody in their right mind would take you up on the offer (which I note doesn't include any indication of price). Why would they pay up front (and assume risk from that point) for a saw which had to be sourced, shipped, etc etc etc. And then it may not be "to standard" - who arranges for its return?

You refer to a "5 year manufacturers warranty" - of absolutely no use to the purchaser as they would, presumably, have to return the item to China to have any fault remedied.

Too much risk for very very little gain.

If you bought the saw into stock then re-sold them, that'd be a different issue.

Karl

I think the only way to get this saw into this country would be for one of the big boys to pick it up OR for someone who's got a lot of money, a wharehouse and a lot of spare time to ship over ten at a time and not have to worry about shifting them quickly. I heard pigs might fly too.

I am surprised, after all the positive reports of saws like the xCalibur and DEFT, that more retailers haven't picked this style of saw up. I guess it's, as I said on the other thread, to do with the European style being more popular in the trade here.

i get what everyone has said on the risk factors but i only post the info so that anyone could order direct to cut the middle man out, as this is a first venture into importing goods

think you're pi$$in in the wind with this one.

Nobody in their right mind would take you up on the offer (which I note doesn't include any indication of price). Why would they pay up front (and assume risk from that point) for a saw which had to be sourced, shipped, etc etc etc. And then it may not be "to standard" - who arranges for its return?

still researching this bit
You refer to a "5 year manufacturers warranty" - of absolutely no use to the purchaser as they would, presumably, have to return the item to China to have any fault remedied.

in ten years or more in trading, harvey's has only 4 returns due to a major fault which he paid for the return and replacement

IMHO you have lost plenty of customers already. The way I understood you on the Lyndhurst thread, was that a few members were going to get together and through you (for a small charge of £50) save some money by importing a few saws, but it now looks like you want to run it a business WHERE THE CUSTOMER RISKS ALL THEIR MONEY.

No thank you

Mike
i am still researching the best way of getting a table saw and weather it viable to club together or set up as an agent, lots to troll through first not jumping in

How much capital do you have Cisco? If none, then I'd stop wasting your time. It's a non-goer.

Hey ciscoeuk

Have you looked into the freight forwarding side of this venture, as it may suprise you just how expencive it it to ship from the far east.

There are many different charges, such as Freight, BAF & CAF, which can vary between shipping lines, and if your shipping small amounts, ie a couple of machines at a time, you will be charged by the cube, and you goods will be shipped in a container with many other peoples goods.

If you want more info about shipping, and all the charges involved the best stop would be the British Institute of Freight Forwarders. http://www.bifa.org/content/home.aspx

Hope this is of some help, and good luck if you choose to go ahead with it.
Its a good time to buy form the far east at the mo :wink:

Regards

Andy

Creampuff":pn4w6cjd said:
Hey ciscoeuk

Have you looked into the freight forwarding side of this venture, as it may suprise you just how expencive it it to ship from the far east.

There are many different charges, such as Freight, BAF & CAF, which can vary between shipping lines, and if your shipping small amounts, ie a couple of machines at a time, you will be charged by the cube, and you goods will be shipped in a container with many other peoples goods.

If you want more info about shipping, and all the charges involved the best stop would be the British Institute of Freight Forwarders. http://www.bifa.org/content/home.aspx

Hope this is of some help, and good luck if you choose to go ahead with it.
Its a good time to buy form the far east at the mo :wink:

Regards

Andy

thanks i take the info on board and thank for the link

So just to be nosey, I asked for a quote from these Chinese manufacturers. Here's the quote that I got:

TOM,

Thanks for you email. Our best price as follows:
MJ3442 418.48 without ROHS
MJ3442 430.32 with ROHS
MJ2325B 408.74 without ROHS
MJ2325B 419.79 with ROHS
wired for UK voltage and have a UK plug
regards,
Alice

This was for the SIP style tablesaw without the sliding table or extensions and the Charnwood style 16" bandsaw.

Just out of interest, what is ROHS ? Their Tax I guess? Also can we run through the rest of the finances. I asked them to quote including delivery to a UK address. Does anyone know how you work out customs charges on something like this? What other hidden charges are there.

I'm not seriously thinking about this. But I think it's interesting to explore. The prices are good if they stay in that region. I might consider it later next year when I've sold some more of my body to medical science...

thanks

any what about customs charges? Have you worked that out yet Cisco?

Back