Harrogate whose going this weekend ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got back at 7. I usually go around with a friend but he was diagnosed with cancer so I ended up going around on my own! It added a different tone people are much more willing to talk if your on your own I found. Btw I thought the panto router was a poor imitation of the Leigh fmt...sorry Peter! I guess the fmt patents aren't tightly wound. The lost art stand was a delight and I brought the anarchists design book.
I looked at large bandsaws the record one's sabre450 was fairly poor I felt. The harvey axminster was a beast ,a monster saw but not nicely detailed. The powermatic wasn't all that either. I really liked the startrite as it was beautifully finished.
I tried a lie nielsen chute board plane and was not enraptured. Some of the odder stalls. Two Indian guys selling knives? The le tonk guy is still there with his toffee apple samples!
A new vintage tool shop run by hipsters! Stall selling Indian made vintage ironmongery. Japanese tool guys! I felt there was a few more younger guys trailing there girlfriends around...is woodwork becoming fashionable. Just a few thoughts.

I am failing to see how the Pantorouter is imitating the Leigh jig...

I think if you look at Mattias Wandel's site and YouTube channel you'd see the difference.

I have the fmt. The panto router technology is a rip off. What your saying is Matthias wandell ripped it off first. Just because one's horizontal and one's vertical doesn't make it legit. I have no vested interest in either tbh. But if I was selling the panto router stateside I would expect a lawsuit. Look at the guides. Tbh the panto router looks pretty inferior even against the cheaper fmt jig.

I bought a pull saw from the Japanese chaps, very friendly, polite crew.
Wasn't really tempted by anything else although it was good to see the different marques side by side and compare them. What I often thought of as "badge engineering" isn't always that simple. There are quite a lot of cost saving changes made to the cheaper brands in some cases.
I didn't see anyone selling Freud blades which surprised me a little, I'd have thought that they would sell well being as popular as they are. No Titebond either but quite a bit of Gorilla glue. Better margins probably.
All in all a good day out though, made a nice change from the gardening and good food ones I usually frequent with the boss.

Well, my tuppence worth : - it was in the vernacular of Yorkshire's greatest tinkerer "A Grand Day Out". Left Edinburgh at 06:40 and got back 23:08. Plenty of oportunity to compare some of the newer tools to the market, very much liked the laguna stuff and the harvey gear. Very much taken with the Powermatic kit overall but then I have always liked their more 50's styling and colour. May get the drum sander soonish. Did treat myself to an Incra T from Peter and a new MOF001 from Triton. Met the very amiable Richard Jones and had a pleasant wee chat.

I have to say the cht stands are consistently the most entertaining. They really make the effort. Axminster were more pushy than I remember though. I'm slightly disappointed by there copying antics with regards to the belt sharpener pro edge copy but it's par for that company these days.
Record power generally seem to be going downmarket. There were a few products of savvy internet marketing. (The really nice Peter parfitt)
But for me the most interesting thing was there was a few younger people.i wish the vintage tool company all the success.
It's woodworkings burden to always have an aging population and it appears woodworking may have a (small)trendy new audience!
I hope so anyway. Nothing brings life to something like young enthusiasm.whats more steampunk than a Stanley no4?

johnnyb":12pqdejr said:
I have the fmt. The panto router technology is a rip off. What your saying is Matthias wandell ripped it off first. Just because one's horizontal and one's vertical doesn't make it legit. I have no vested interest in either tbh. But if I was selling the panto router stateside I would expect a lawsuit. Look at the guides. Tbh the panto router looks pretty inferior even against the cheaper fmt jig.
The pantorouter has absolutely nothing to do with the FMT jig. They work in a completely different way.

The pantorouter works with on a pantograph mechanism on a 2:1 reduction.

The FMT is a template based jig. It does mortise and tenons.

The pantorouter can do mortise and tenons, box joints (even dovetails) and pretty much anything that you can trace with the pantograph mechanism.

I have no idea how you are confusing the two.

Forget the mechanism that controls the router. The pantos only different feature is the work is horizontal an advantage as you don't need to work on steps for long pieces.
The fmt uses gravity to hold the router level.
Look at the templates an oval on the outside and a slot for the mortice using a up spiral cutter. You may think the fmt only does m and t but anything the panto does can be done on the fmt. How do I know? Because in use they are similar.(very)
2 to 1 feeding is unique to the panto(But stuff like slot morticers use this mechanism)
A taper for fit adjustment work on both.
As far as I know Leigh invented the oval and slot template. I would also say I could be the inventor of a template to make louvre doors, y axis tenons and square tenons for the panto But that would be stealing Leigh ideas!

johnnyb":1g50gzln said:
Forget the mechanism that controls the router. The pantos only different feature is the work is horizontal an advantage as you don't need to work on steps for long pieces.
The fmt uses gravity to hold the router level.
Look at the templates an oval on the outside and a slot for the mortice using a up spiral cutter. You may think the fmt only does m and t but anything the panto does can be done on the fmt. How do I know? Because in use they are similar.(very)
2 to 1 feeding is unique to the panto(But stuff like slot morticers use this mechanism)
A taper for fit adjustment work on both.
As far as I know Leigh invented the oval and slot template. I would also say I could be the inventor of a template to make louvre doors, y axis tenons and square tenons for the panto But that would be stealing Leigh ideas!

By the nature of using a router bit you are ending up with rounded corners in this sort of templated setup. It is a product of the tool and joint. Way before Leigh produced this jig people were rigging up similar sorts of setups with a router and MDF/plywood slot templates; Leigh have just done an excellent job in refining it and precision manufacturing it with bells and whistles.

If you say 'forget the mechanism' you are pretty much saying that any jig that creates a mortise and tenon joint (or similar) is a copy cat of the Leigh jig. Which is not a reasonable assumption to make.

If you want to look at something more equivalent, the Woodrat would be something you could say was similar, but no way the Pantorouter.

Many thanks to those that stopped by the LAP part of Classic Hand Tools' stand for a blether about things in general, and my book in particular. I was much heartened by the positive comments offered by those that had already read the book, and thank those that have said kind things in this thread.

Meanwhile, I'm off to nurse the toothache that has bugged me for the last five days, and getting worse, but hopefully my dentist's visit later this morning will put paid to that, ha, ha. Slainte.

Nick Laguna UK":1v8neej4 said:
Yup - I'll be there demonstrating too - Just loaded a big hire van up with some nice shiny black Laguna machines :)

I look forward to meeting any UKWW members and getting your reaction to the machines - Stop by and say 'Hi' if you can.

We air-freighted these samples in to make sure they were here in time - crunch, not cheap! but Harrogate is the best show in UK and didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick, I saw you at the show with the very nice laguna bandsaw. After i left i tried to find the bandsaw online and cant find anywhere online to have a look at it?
Would you be able to tell me the model number? It had a very large throat on it on movable castors also a slot in the side to remove the blade. sorry for the lack of information. haha

Hi Jack, it's the 14/12 - It's not yet online in the UK as it's not officially launched yet - stock due next Feb/March.

If you google 'Laguna 14 12' you'll get loads of results from USA websites.

Wheel kit is £99 inc. vat extra.

Hope this helps, and glad you liked it.

Cheers,
Nick

Did not see this before I left, but I went on the Saturday for the first time on the way back from Husbands Bosworth after dropping off my Glider for repair.

I have not been to the show before and was impressed, I could have gone back on the Sunday morning if needed, but just pushed on and got it all viewed in the one day.

Rucksack started getting heavy by the end of the day with Catalogues and small tools from the big open plan tool sale bins.

Bought some of the Power Bond 806 adhesive after what seemed and amazing and impressive demonstration of how quickly thing stuck together so you could not separate them. I was also very interested in the powder that you added to the glue in layers to make solid and then be able to drill and tap. Used it twice already, on one thing did not work, but was probably the flexible type of plastic which it says it does not do. Also used already the Welding Magnet with switch that I bought.

A good day, but if I have to drive through Bradford again it will be too soon.

PJM

Back