Harrogate Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Smart

Chestnut Products
Reaction score
Hi All

Well, postings about this one seem a little sparse!

I don't want to start the whole 'shows' debate again but would be interested just to hear some feedback from people who actually went to the show (rather than their reasons for staying away!) on what they thought of it.

Thanks

I went yesterday and thought it was OK. Bought some sharpening stuff and a Rob Cosman DVD. Had a good look at the Hammer 4400 bandsaw but at £850 its probably outside my price range. The new Scheppach mid-range saw looked better value but only rips 10" vs 12" on the Hammer.
I didn't see you on the stand as I walked by, you must have been at lunch?

Hi John

Thanks for your answer, I wasn't at the show although as you know we had a stand there manned by Mark our Sales Manager.

Terry last year one of the stands said that they were 30% down on the Friday from the previous year and the Saturday was going the same way and they would not be back this year and they were not on the exhibitors list.
I assume sales were bad
Barry

Barry, the booth operators I spoke to reckoned sales were up this year on the Friday, and about average for Saturday and Sunday, whatever that means. Some put this down to the Axminster show not running this year. One retailer closed up the booth on Sunday at 1 pm having sold all the 5000 units they brought with them.

I know there were over 3000 visitors on Friday, not sure of Saturday's attendance, and I heard that about 2,500 came on Sunday.

Certainly interest was good at our stand, but we weren't there to sell goods as such. Rather, we were there to generate interest in our courses, so it's bit difficult to quantify how many recruits we get from a show. Still, it gets our name out to the general public, which I'd guess is always helpful. Slainte.

Hi All

I live in the bayou swamps of southern Hampshire but I went to the Harrogate Show on Saturday because it had a unique attraction - it coincided with a sewing and needlework show at the Harrogate International Centre. This was an inspired bit of planning by the show organisers because it gave the LOML and I the perfect excuse for a weekend in Harrogate, probably our favourite place in the country. On Saturday morning, I dropped her off at the HIC and I then went on to the Great Yorkshire Showground and each knew that the other wouldn't be bored for many an hour.

I've been to a good few Axminster shows and one of the London based ones. In comparison, I thought the Harrogate show was highly enjoyable with an excellent range of stands and demos. There seemed to be more "show bargains" than there were at the last Axminster show.

I only bought a few small items - a couple of Wolfcraft hand clamps and a really fine OBM chisel by James Howarth. The only reason I didn't spend more was that I'm hoping to move house in the very near future and I'm trying to keep costs down.

If Harrogate can offer coordinated woodworking and needlework shows again next year, we'll be there.

Regards.

Evergreen that is how I got to go last year. SWMBO wanted to go to a Japanese fabric making course at the needle work show and she had to be very nice to me to take her but now she knows why I went. Won't get away with it next time.
Barry

I went on the Friday and quite enjoyed it. I went to Axminster last year (10 hour round trip) expecting to get discount prices direct from manufacturers; no such luck-when I asked about prices they just opened an APTC catalogue and quoted from it. So I didn't go to Harrogate expecting to buy much-maybe others feel the same, thus the reported low sales figures from exhibitors. I would remark that the show has a definite bias towards turners and of course power tool users, but was gob smacked at the number of folk flocking around those 2 big "car boot" stalls selling the usual rubbish. I can only speak from my limited experience of 2 shows but it appears from the crowds I've seen that Woodworking is as popular as ever. Slainte from meself, John.

I went on Saturday and My Dad came along for the ride. We both Enjoyed it. Only bought some standard supplies, Titebond, a Pax flexcut saw, some bit holders from one of them carboot type stalls. as others have said, there were lots of turners and supplies to go with it. I particularly wanted to have a look at a record TS250 (I'm looking for a new TS at the moment). There was one there and I was a bit disappointed with it. The build quality was not very good and generaly seemed a bit cheap.

I also checked out a Sip 01332 Saw with sliding carriage. although cheaper, it seemed to be much more robust. I might be placing an order in the new year for one of them. So it was a worthwhile trip just for that if nothing else.

It might interest some of you to know that the perform CI saw that axminster was selling, will soon be available as the Axminster 'White brand'. I emailed them last week as it disappeared from the Online catalogue. they said its coming back and they will have photo's soon. Same price £599.00 inc sliding carriage.

Lee.

Went on the Friday,thought it was okay.Crown hand tools had what I thought were some good show discounts (e.g.3/4" oval skew £13 compared to £17 in Axminster catalogue;£13.57 thin parting tool for £9) so bought a few new chisels,but could happily have spent more :D
Bought some supplies from Chestnut at a show discount. :D
Nearly all the demo's were woodturning,and it was nice to actually see and meet people I have read about - Martin Brown,Jimmy Clewes,Tony Wilson and Reg Slack to name but a few.

Same as Tulsk,was moderately unimpressed with the two large "car boot" type stalls.(I went there to see things I couldn't normally get to see)
Was amazed at how much floorspace Snainton Woodworking had - seemed like nearly half the show :shock: - although their space was well organized,and had a lot on display (and a good variety/selection of stuff)

Enjoyed it,will probably go again next year.

Andrew

I concur with powertool, "chapeau!" to Crown for giving the best show discount, in fact it sounds like our shopping bags were very similar. Did you see the prices the second hand tool dealer was asking? -got to make a living I suppose. Cheers John

Back