Hardwood edge banding.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used heat to glue on edge banding for years. No problems, but every now and again it bubbles up where the glue hasn’t quite grabbed. This is especially noticeable when you paint.

I have also made my own edge banding, glued and clamped, much more reliable results if a little more work. The only issue when painting, the grain tends to rise when using water based paints, no problem, just a bit more time to sand down. So I wanted to be more efficient and use a hardwood for the edging.

My question is if I want to use a hard wood for edging which hardwood would you suggest?

Cheap, readily available, doesn’t split and the grain doesn’t rise when painted with water based paints would be good!

Cheers in advance for you input.

If I understand the question. I seem to remember people in the past recommending Tulipwood as it paints well and machines easy.

I am using some at the moment for the hidden bit of a small project and it is really nice to use, doesn't seem to move at all after machining too so that is good.

Mick

It's difficult to advise without more information about your facilities and your requirements.

For instance, does the edging need to be hard (some woods are softer than others). Is it all going to be painted?

Do you have a plunge saw and rail, and a planer thicknesser?

When you say edge banding do you refer to the 0.6mm veneer edging type or are you actually using a thicker timber lipping?
At work if we are using the first option we use either white PVC type edge tape or maple veneer tape, as it has a close grain which doesn't show through paint. If however we are using a lipping say 20mm we use tulip as again it finishes well and Is easy to work.

Back