Hardening Oak for a table project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmb27

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a lovely piece of Holm Oak that I want to use in a resin table project, however there are a few spots towards the live edge that are softer. They're not crumbly through rot but definitely softer than normal oak hardness. I was wondering if there's any option for hardening it that would mean it would be still suitable to use in a table? Not something I've considered before. Thanks!

Hi Mike, I have removed as much as I can find but worry there's other soft spots i havent seen - I hoped a hardened washed over or similar, would remedy possibly
IMG_20200829_092154.jpg

If I remember your general "wood hardener" is just really thick shellac which soaks in a bit but still only leaves the surface relatively harder and probably won't help you much. What finish do you plan on putting on the timber?

If the areas needing doing aren't too big then you could flood them with thin (runny) super glue. This is a "trick" used by turners to help stablise wood for turning if it is a bit punky. Normally when you get a decent wide board the softer wood is usually the sapwood and is considered to be undesirable to have in your furniture as it is not durable and liable to infestation or decay much more quickly that the harder heartwood. There are other techniques, such as resin impregnation, but they require a very large cash investment to get the right kit and is not really practical for the hobbyist usually.
hth

Well, I wouldn't let that sapwood anywhere near the finished product, personally. Each to their own. If you are soaking this in resin then that will do the "hardening" for you, and there'll be no need for any secondary/ alternative treatment.

Back