Hands on S&J saw handle (pics heavy)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm not really active here but I would share this work because in part you helped me with this hand tools forum :lol:

Is a typical Spear & Jackson backsaw with the handle not really beautyful so I reshaped with more classical design.
0010.jpg

Copying the curves from other handles.
0040.jpg

A little sanding to the blade.
0110.jpg

And starts the work for the new shape.
0140_1439331704_943852.jpg

0160_1439331813_895884.jpg

0170_1439331849_789018.jpg

0180_1439331885_151530.jpg

0190_1439331928_396701.jpg

0200.jpg

0230_jpg.jpg

After the rasp I sand the handle, since is not new is not perfect due to spots and bumps.
0260.jpg

I have lowered the head of the screws to flatten a bit, then I polished them all.
0330.jpg

Here the result, finished with shellac and wax.
0350.jpg

0370.jpg

0390.jpg

Please, pardon my chipboard workbench top if you can! :oops:
Thanks for watching!

Ciao, Leo. :D

Nice job!
It's good to see that the modern handle does have enough wood for this to work.

Nice Job, but I should warn you:

This is how it started 8 years ago and saw- and handlemaking stil keeps me from serious woodworking.
B1685.jpg

Cheers
Pedder

Good woodworking but I've always liked the robust, durable, and no-nonsense shape of the Spear and Jackson handles from that era. Rounded enough to be comfortable but no weak spots prone to breaking off or splitting.

Very nice indeed Leo. I've put some extra shape to two S and J backsaws off ebay but not as attractive as yours by a long way.

John

Wonderful work. I think I'd have assumed that a replacement handle would have been necessary but, as AndyT said, it's interesting that there was sufficient wood to shape the style that you wanted.

Thanks for your comment :D

This work is a sort of compromise, modify the old handle mean correct slot blade and screw holes but you haven't the most beautiful wood and design is forced, infact missing the little horn ahead the nib. Anyway is a short work full of fun (hammer)

CStanford, I decided reshaping this handle to enlarge the space between horns due to my hand and since I had the rasp out tried a nonsense shape :lol:

Pedder, your warning advice is a sort of dream for me but I think your level is too much high. Very very high! :lol:
But I want especially thank you and Klaus, because the decision of take pictures of this work and show it on forums come from your fantastic tutorial on saw making.

Thanks again, ciao Leo.

Hi Leo,

your words are kind. But saw making is like every other skill.

2% talent
98% boring stupid work (training)

My saw filing was aceptable after the first 40 Saws.
And although I've the best handle making trainer on my
side of the ocean (Klaus), I still throw away 2/3 of my handles.

So if you want to make saws, do that. But be prepared to sit long
evenings in your sleeping room sanding handles.

IMG_0527.JPG

Cheers
Pedder

CStanford":8kvx1l3s said:
Good woodworking but I've always liked the robust, durable, and no-nonsense shape of the Spear and Jackson handles from that era. Rounded enough to be comfortable but no weak spots prone to breaking off or splitting.

http://www.legnofilia.it/files/posted_i ... 1/0010.jpg

I could add a less flattering description of the handle shape. But I wont. :roll:

Stewie;

I much prefer the traditional look you have given the S&J saw handle.

Very nice work indeed, as mentioned previously, it could become an obsession!

David

I found an old S&J at a car boot and thought of this thread - it has scrubbed up much better than I thought, still need to finish the teeth(!)

Hope it is of some interest,

Carl

Attachments

• S&J1 (500x375).jpg
    S&J1 (500x375).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • S&J2 (500x375).jpg
    S&J2 (500x375).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,030
  • S&J3 (500x375).jpg
    S&J3 (500x375).jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,030