Handles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rural Platypus

Established Member
Reaction score
As a newbie turner I thought I out to get some practice by making at least some of my own tool handles, so I returned from Ally Pally with some handle-less Ashley Isles spindle gouges (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"). Now I've turned ash handle #1 and am ready to fit the first spindle gouge shaft which led me to wonder if it should be epoxied in there (Popular Woodworking thinks so) or friction fitted, with the sharp end on a bit of scrap bash the end of the handle with a mallet to drive the shaft home (recommendation in Richard Raffan's book).

What do other folks here do?

Cheers

RP

I prefer the bash method... having watched them fitting handles at Ashley Iles' factory I use a piece of old lead pipe rather than scrap wood.

Never had a problem with the tool shaft coming loose but the ferrules are a different matter: you could use a punch to indent the ferrule or simply glue it on.

Depends how well you have matched the size of the hole to the tang !

If you think it will be a good tight friction fit then no need to glue, but if less sure add some glue to be safe.

Never bothered with glue myself.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Bash it here too.

Chris.

PS: Hope you didn't buy any ferrules - copper plumbing pipe is the thing.

I remember being told never to bash the tip. Instead line up the tang in the hole and with the tool vertical, bang the butt of the handle on a firm surface. The tool will then seat itself (from memory this is esp. important with files that are brittle by nature).

Either way, I have made several handles and epoxy is not required.

Thanks for the replies - I did as suggested and whacked the handle after engaging the tool business end on a block of scrap - no epoxy. A few persuading thumps with a mallet and it all looks quite secure.

Scrums - I'm afraid I *did* waste a few pence on a brass ferrule :oops: - I'll just have to starve for the rest of the week...still, if the tool handle looks good & works well who needs to eat, eh?

RP

Rural Platypus":24in7zfu said:
I'm afraid I *did* waste a few pence on a brass ferrule :oops: - I'll just have to starve for the rest of the week...still, if the tool handle looks good & works well who needs to eat, eh?

RP

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back