Handheld circular saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnimble

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm most probably in the market for a new hand held cs to combine it with the EZ smart guide system (rails + square + ghandle + maybe bridge).

My current saw is a Bosch. It has a pressed steel base and is total c**p. The base is not flat, the saw has about 1.2mm sideward play when the height and angle adjustment knobs are all 3 fully tightened. Also whole motor + angle + height adjustment mechanism is not stiff. When sawing a sheet the edge various about +3 and -5 degrees along the cut. When the angle adjustment is set to be 90 degrres perpendicular its off about 4 degrees.

I've ftiffened the bade plate by bolting a pice of mdf underneath it, replaced some pressed pins with bolts and wedged the motor. Now the cut is almost exact and repeatable but still extremely tedious to setup and the depth is cut is now only just over an inch.

Looking around so far none of the saws (per manuals and pictures) do not have any set screws (or other mechanism) to get the saw precise and repeatable perpendicular to the material except for the Triton TSA001 and TA235CSL. All the american saws do seem to have such an feature, have more features, better specs and are at less than half price. The Makita 5008 MGA seems a very good machine for instance. (yes it has all the things like an electical brake, guards etc)

Which saws am I over looking or do the manuals just not state the fine tuning features of the saws?

HI,
Can't advise what you should go for, but I had exactly the same problems with a hitachi c7bu2. I never really got it to the stage that I was happy with its repeatability. Its now been consigned to the "if I ever need a tool to hack about at something" box or at least will be once the makita sp6000 arrives.

patl":1msexjom said:
HI,
Can't advise what you should go for, but I had exactly the same problems with a hitachi c7bu2. I never really got it to the stage that I was happy with its repeatability. Its now been consigned to the "if I ever need a tool to hack about at something" box or at least will be once the makita sp6000 arrives.
And the c7bu2 does has somewhat of an adjustment scewy thingy :shock:

Back