Hand Painting Kitchen Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a client who wants their kitchen revamped by painting the doors/drawers and fixtures. The softwood units currently have a modern clear lacquer finish (in good condition) that may or may not be removed before they are refinished. I'm a wood finisher by trade but have not had any experience with the Farrow & Ball brush paints and wonder if anyone here has refinished a kitchen using these or similar paints, and if so did you strip or use one of those 'stick to anything' primers (after cleaning/sanding) the old finish?

Any help apreciated.

stripping the surface is tedious and unnecessary imo
the best spec for longevity (after cleaning and abrading) is to use an adhesion promoting primer- which one comes down to personal choice- I have used Dulux trade ultra grip and zinnser cover stain- zinnser BIN also works but you have to thin it and even once thinned you have to work fast.
I assume you've been asked to use FB estate eggshell? it’s a very good paint - you might like to try adding 5% floetrol especially if it’s a warm day- and use a good quality synthetic brush like wooster alpha's or purdy monarch's-you may also find that it’s better to do 3 thin coats than 2

thanks cornucopia, just the sort of input i need. Stripping is of course tedious - and i do it all the time on furniture so am keen to bypass it in this instance if possible, for time and price reasons. I'm unsure of the exact F&B paint type, suffice to say it will be hand painted though. The paint retarder is a welcome tip too. I'll look at what you've suggested to me, thanks for that. Any other input welcomed too. :)

Latest posts

Back