Hancock's Half Hour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lons":3cwhsuo7 said:
Have you had a bad day Bob? You seem a bit grumpy. :wink:

Not really mate, it's all going very well :lol: I think I'm just a bit blunt sometimes on the net. In real life I'm the complete opposite, proper pussy cat cat.

doctor Bob":36462ww5 said:
Don't be going posting facebook rubbish or I shall start calling Chris "Karen".
My kids told me about 'Karen' a couple of days ago, i'd not heard it before. Funny old world, eh? :)

Phil Pascoe":1sth3fh3 said:
doctor Bob":1sth3fh3 said:
... christ they didn't even have flares ...

Bring back Loons and Afghan coats, I say! :D

You what ............ when did they go out of fashion?

That brings back some memories. My loons were so tight they were indecent. I remember my brother sitting in the bath to shrink his drainpipes to get them skin tight.

Nigel.

Nigel Burden":3glfzxxx said:
That brings back some memories. My loons were so tight they were indecent. I remember my brother sitting in the bath to shrink his drainpipes to get them skin tight.

Nigel.
Wasn’t that an advert for Levi 501’s?

Rorschach":o7mi81uc said:
Just because those of us living now didn't suffer in the same way as our parents/grandparents doesn't lessen or invalidate the suffering we are going through now.

If you go with that logic you could say our grandparents shouldn't complain because they didn't live through the civil war or the black death or the Roman occupation. We can learn and empathise with history, but it doesn't lessen the problems of the present.
I don't think anyone said that!

doctor Bob":3jvrb2fz said:
Lons":3jvrb2fz said:
Have you had a bad day Bob? You seem a bit grumpy. :wink:

Not really mate, it's all going very well :lol: I think I'm just a bit blunt sometimes on the net. In real life I'm the complete opposite, proper pussy cat cat cat.
Off topic 'cos I'm too lazy to look for the thread, there's a company in Cramlington, Northumberland renting out dog exercise fields for £15 an hour, advertising on facebook. I don't know if they're successful but it's a good catchment area.

Surprised to read the E111 described as 'for emergencies only', perhaps things have changed.
Back in '81 we were resident in Belgium. Our daughter, then aged four, was diagnosed as needing a tonsillectomy and ear grommets inserted. This was not an emergency operation but the local hospital produced an E111 form which we completed, the op was performed and that was that.

I am mid/late 60s.

And I have had it very easy compared to parents and grandparents. The current virus crisis is the first time I have been materially bothered by events.

I was alive during Suez crisis, Cuba, Vietnam war, various middle east conflicts etc. Similarly civil unrest, miners strike, IRA, 1980's unemployment. None of these affected me personally, nor any of my family and close friends.

I have been fortunate. But expectations and the nature of difficult has changed. Most young people can no longer expect to easily own a home, most families need two incomes to get by, final salary pensions are no more.

More fundamentally the sense of freedom enjoyed by youth in the 60s and 70s is being replaced by prospects of climate change, overpopulation, increasing regulation and degradation of personal freedoms.

I would dearly like to like another 50 healthy years, but given the choice of being born in the 1950's or 2000's, I would go for the age of opportunity every time!

Chris152":gugtco77 said:
It was the general sentiment of the post that I thought was good, Bob - not whether a detail like that was accurate. And tbh, while both my parents were alive in WW2, I haven't really got a clue how bad their experience of it was. For me, it was a few tales about doodlebugs and the sounds of bombs landing. And dad cruising about in the North Sea. They didn't talk about it much. I don't think most of us today, under or over 35, have much of a clue. Maybe that's just my experience tho.

With that you touch on one of the difficulties of how we deal with history. I think that one of the problems is that we tend to deal with it alsmost as a series of headlines. To do more than that requires either a professional or lay interest in the subject, direct experience of events of being close to someone who is prepared to relate those events.

Consider how we perceive the holocaust. From my teen years on I formally knew that it was a morally bad thing. However, my exposure to it was entirely from black and white images on the telly e.g. as part of The World At War. Then when I was 19 I met a Jewish girl who I quite fancied (got nowhere though: she was far too well brought up). We never discussed the holocaust but the next time I saw the usual images of cattle trucks on the telly, it suddenly hit me that had she been born in the wrong place at the wrong time, she could have been amongst those people being shoved onto the trucks. That led to me reappraising and changing my views on the holocaust, something which, incidentally, led me to conclusions other than the simplistic ones which one often hears but that is another matter.

As another example, consider the state of the UK in the 70s: winter of discontent, miners' strike etc. Amazingly there are a lot of people who's ideas would inevitably lead us to walk that road again and that revolves around events that happened less than 50 years ago!

It's difficult to conclude what this all adds up to. FWIW my response is that there are a very few unbreakable principles according to which we should test the behaviour of others, both now and in the past. If we wish to go beyond that then we must be very careful with our sources i.e. the books for any one issue are written by people who are pro-, contra- or as even-handed as they can be. It seems to me that most folk, most of the time, take a relatively superficial interest in events (fair enough: they have lives to lead) and secondly tend not to weigh up views with which they currently disagree in a fair and balanced manner.

Phil Pascoe":1ytl5mzv said:
Andy Kev.":1ytl5mzv said:
... As that French bloke had it, "I may not agree with what you say but I am prepared to defend to the death your right to say it".

"That French bloke" actually didn't say it. :D
Really? :shock:

I have to write "that French bloke" because I can never remember his name. Who was it then? (I'm now guessing that it might have been some ancient Greek.)

Lons":1s25aofn said:
Rorschach":1s25aofn said:
Just because those of us living now didn't suffer in the same way as our parents/grandparents doesn't lessen or invalidate the suffering we are going through now.

If you go with that logic you could say our grandparents shouldn't complain because they didn't live through the civil war or the black death or the Roman occupation. We can learn and empathise with history, but it doesn't lessen the problems of the present.
I don't think anyone said that!

No but it seemed the general sentiment of that facebook post Chris posted and I have heard other people (mentioning no names) put forth similar views on here before.

That French bloke ... It’s claimed to have been said by Voltaire but from memory turned out to be what some academic interpreted he’d said when writing his biography. In actual fact he made some other odd comment ... or was that Eric Cantona? :D

Lons":2625vxf9 said:
Off topic 'cos I'm too lazy to look for the thread, there's a company in Cramlington, Northumberland renting out dog exercise fields for £15 an hour, advertising on facebook. I don't know if they're successful but it's a good catchment area.

I think we are going £8 for 1/2hr, 15 for 1hr. We have a great catchment area. The field is now looking fantastic, put in about 20 play areas, digging pit, weave poles.
The great thing is we can do even more in future, split it up, clean up the natural pond, wooded area.
Hopefully put a replacement building up next year for indoor dog training. This is my retirement project to keep income coming in and ease me away from the main business.

Andy Kev.":3qcr84np said:
Phil Pascoe":3qcr84np said:
Andy Kev.":3qcr84np said:
... As that French bloke had it, "I may not agree with what you say but I am prepared to defend to the death your right to say it".

"That French bloke" actually didn't say it. :D
Really? :shock:

I have to write "that French bloke" because I can never remember his name. Who was it then? (I'm now guessing that it might have been some ancient Greek.)

Voltaire. (Candide for A level French :D )

Return to school in September.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-53253722
Bubbles.
At the moment a bubble consists of two families meeting. Within two months, bubbles with representatives from tens or hundreds of families will be meeting and mixing - our local has about 250 per year group, classes of about 30. So imagine a bubble of just 30, kids who can't take account of any 2 or 1 metre rule in the classrooms, spending their days and weeks together. If two test positive, the bubble could be sent home - by the time that's happened, I'd think many in that bubble could have it. And all kids doing gcse and a-levels (which is all comp year groups except years 7 and 8 ) will effectively have no bubble apart from the whole year group bubble, as they have to keep changing groups according to subject. Massive exposure to others, no significant social distancing.
Lunch time. How to feed 1500 kids (as an example, not remotely unusual) without letting bubbles get mixed up, yet still provide food at lunch time.
Transport to and from school. In bubbles?

We still seem to be coasting along at 150-200 deaths per day, thousands of new cases. I understand the importance of education, and think it really important kids get back to it. But a much better plan is needed if it's to happen safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back