Hammerite smooth blue for painting Record vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusw

Reaction score
From researching it seems that a paint called Japlac Navy Blue was the best match for the Record blue colour, but I don't think it is available anymore so people use Hammerite Smooth Blue?

I don't suppose anyone used this and has a picture of their vice?

Is it too light a colour? I would love a darker blue, the few bits of paint left on the old vice I purchased seem a much darker blue.

I guess it is not a good idea to paint an entirely new colour. But if I can't get the right blue then what's the point?

Does it have to be spray can or can I brush it on?

Here you go: Hammerite Smooth Blue used.

Workbench_JC_5D_241014_0016-copy.jpg

I guess it is not a good idea to paint an entirely new colour.

Paint it whatever colour takes your fancy. I don't see what it matters as long as you're happy with it and it protects the vice from rust.

Attachments

• Workbench_JC_5D_241014_0016-copy.jpg
    Workbench_JC_5D_241014_0016-copy.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 863
JJ1":b86sbqf0 said:
Here you go: Hammerite Smooth Blue used.

I guess it is not a good idea to paint an entirely new colour.

Paint it whatever colour takes your fancy. I don't see what it matters as long as you're happy with it and it protects the vice from rust.

Wow, that looks beautiful. And it's just called Smooth Blue, or is it Smooth Dark Blue.

I'd love mine to look like that.

Wow, that looks beautiful. And it's just called Smooth Blue, or is it Smooth Dark Blue.

Thanks. I've just checked the tin and it's Hammerite Smooth Dark Blue. I did it about 14 months and despite the workbench and vice living outdoors on a balcony the vice still looks like new. Below is a photo of the vice before being painted but after being cleaned up with a wire wheel on an electric drill, degreased and washed. So as you can see the Hammerite isn't that different to the original colour really.

Record-53-vice_JC_DMC-GH2_180814_0016.jpg

Attachments

• Record-53-vice_JC_DMC-GH2_180814_0016.jpg
    Record-53-vice_JC_DMC-GH2_180814_0016.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 838
The colour Record used is BS110 Roundel Blue, the shade did change though over the years.
Any good paint factors can mix it for you, I get mine mixed in 2K regularly.

Latest posts

Back