Had a go at Yew!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soylent1

Established Member
Reaction score
My first and second attempt's at turning Yew. Yesterday I was given a few small offcuts of seasoned Yew from a friend ( approx. 4-5'' long and about 3-4'' diameter) I couldn't wait to see what it like to turn, so I just stuck them on the lathe (bark and all) and just went for it! I turned the Egg cup first and then went straight onto the small bowl. I know they're not perfect, but I am still learning! I don't know why, but when I try to plan a design or a certain approach beforehand it always seems to end in the bin. But when I don't think about it and just put tool to wood I am much happier. I have already asked my friend if there is any chance of some more Yew, and as it happens there's plenty more if I'm interested :lol:

Attachments

• ec02.jpg
    ec02.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 815
  • ec01.jpg
    ec01.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 815
  • ec03.jpg
    ec03.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 815
  • bw02.jpg
    bw02.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 815
  • bw01.jpg
    bw01.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 815
  • bw03.jpg
    bw03.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 815
Thanks for the great comments guys :D

I have just mounted my last piece on the lathe, roughed to round and now I just have to decide what to turn! it's about 8'' long and 3-4'' diameter.

Tony

How confident are you about hollowing that deep?
Could make a very attractive Vase if you put a slight taper towards the top, cutting the grain boundaries leads to enhanced colour ways.
See how I tackled one in Beech a few years ago.

Nice little bowl the curve is nice and smooth. did you manage to keep the same shape on the inside as the outside.

Also like the egg cup glad you left a nice thick stem for support

CHJ":12rewdms said:
How confident are you about hollowing that deep?
Could make a very attractive Vase if you put a slight taper towards the top, cutting the grain boundaries leads to enhanced colour ways.
See how I tackled one in Beech a few years ago.

I wish I had taken the time to see what you had done with the Beech. Before I turned the log into shavings! anyway what's done is done! I turned this candlestick from the last bit I had, a complete waste of good turning wood! I can imagine most of the experienced turners on here would be saying! (and I broke it, repaired with PU glue!). But I'm still learning and anything that comes off the lathe in less then two pieces is a small triumph for me!

Attachments

• ch01.jpg
    ch01.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 606
  • ch02.jpg
    ch02.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 606
  • ch03.jpg
    ch03.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 606
Dalboy":2drakqi2 said:
Nice little bowl the curve is nice and smooth. did you manage to keep the same shape on the inside as the outside.

Also like the egg cup glad you left a nice thick stem for support

I tried to keep the inside profile to follow the external, but didn't quite manage! as you can see! I do have a Sorby RS200 hollowing tool which I'm not sure how to use (lots of catches etc..) so I just did what I could and resigned myself to lots of sanding!

Thanks for the comments on the egg cup :) I meant to leave a thick stem to support the weight of my eggs :oops: !

Attachments

• bw05.jpg
    bw05.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 603
  • bw04.jpg
    bw04.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 603

Latest posts

Back