GWW bench article

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I saw Good Woodworking magaine has run a bench article and included several photos of mine along with a few words and a two-page CAD drawing.

So, thought I'd update the forum in case anyone is inspired by the article.

Original build post is here

and the tail vice here

Well, after 2 years, it has been flattened once and I increased the bevel on the edges to prevent damage when I am a little rough and bang things against it!

I have had no problems and have added a few features to make it even more useful - photos below:

Added support for longer boards (sliding deadman)

351930_l.jpg

351935_l.jpg

351937_l.jpg

351931_l.jpg

351928_l.jpg

351933_l.jpg

Clamp through bench dog holes

351932_l.jpg

351934_l.jpg

Hi, Tony

I like the through hole clamps. I have used a sash clamp in the vice to do the same sort of thing.

Pete

Hi Tony,

Great looking bench! What are the two extended bolts for in the end of the bench worktop for (top picture)?

flounder":20may56h said:
Hi Tony,

Great looking bench! What are the two extended bolts for in the end of the bench worktop for (top picture)?

Ahh, they are for a little aluminium addition I made last night (the screws were added first). No pictures yet, so I'll take a few and post them later. I am quite pleased with this addition, although is is curently only 14 hours old :)

...But it still looks as clean as the day you made it! :D

I think it's about time you covered in stain and scarred it with some of your saws and chisels!! :twisted: :wink:

OPJ":rlx0qwzc said:
...But it still looks as clean as the day you made it! :D

I think it's about time you covered in stain and scarred it with some of your saws and chisels!! :twisted: :wink:

Thed camera lies!! It is scarred and stained - all over

A little addition I knocked up last Friday - 1.5 hours well spent. Especially good for thin stock to be planed against.

A block of aluminium, a band saw, a pillar drill and a belt sander.......

358048_l.jpg

358045_l.jpg

358046_l.jpg

358047_l.jpg

358050_l.jpg

I can see you're all very impressed with my little idea :lol: (my fault for positing something woodwork related)

Tony":3o5g344h said:
I can see you're all very impressed with my little idea :lol: (my fault for positing something woodwork related)

Its ok :roll: :wink:
I might make summat similar to that bench stop but will use wood as I don't like metal near my blades

Maybe you overdid the brag :duno:

Actually Tony...I was pondering that stop for hours and trying to dig out a path to my workshop to see if I had some scrap ali stock to make one for my bench as I though it was a grand idea....

But the snow and something lurking in the back of my mind stopped me and it wasn't until lurker mentioned it that I realised what was bugging me!

NOW...all I have to do is dig out the path and look for some more OAK stock and two rods! Job done!

Later guys...and Tony...LURVE those dovetails!

Jim

I concur on the metal exposure front, although I doubt ally would bother a good blade too much.
Knowing my ability to mis-judge clearances correctly I would tempted to laminate a sacrificial sliver of Beech along the top of the stop Tony, thus maintaining the rigidity of the metal construction.

Knowing my ability to mis-judge clearances correctly I would tempted to laminate a sacrificial sliver of Beech along the top of the stop Tony, thus maintaining the rigidity of the metal construction.

Why as you have already said the iron in the plane will see off the ally anyway. Even a stanley iron will cut ally!!!

You are forgetting the kiss principle and making something very simple into something complex.

Bean":2vediwoc said:
Why as you have already said the iron in the plane will see off the ally anyway. Even a stanley iron will cut ally!!!.....

Will "it might look look prettier" do :lol:

I think it's a great idea.
I've been wondering how to hold thin stock whilst planing. A bit of wood on dowels into the dog holes works fine for thicker stock but it doesn't really have enough stability for thin stuff.
I must have some Al lying around somewhere will have to try this on my new bench (when I get around to making it).

How would it be if you replaced the top bit with hard oak? Or something hard like ebony?

That would also look so much nicer with the contrast....

I still love the idea and intend making one once I can get out there soon..I am working until the 27th now.... :cry:

Jim

That's a nice job Tony.

You're mostly familiar with it i'm sure, but it may be appropriate to mention Christopher Schwartz's Workbench book again in this context.

I'm about halfway through - having been advised to buy it. It's not expensive from Amazon UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workbenches-Des ... 021&sr=8-1

I'd been asking questions about the pros and cons of some of the different set ups and layouts one finds on the various workbench designs - some of the older wooden vice designs in particular are a bit hard to figure out.

The problem for me was that despite reading one well known 'bible' and lots of other articles i wasn't a lot wiser about what would suit me except for what i could guess at - the books and articles i've seen spend a lot of time recording the details of various workbench designs, but very little on the 'why' or 'how' of these.

To the point where some almost take the position that 'this is the way it was done, so this is the way it should be done now and don't ask questions'. But why???? 'It's tradition....' Which bugs me. There's no point re-inventing the wheel, and there's not much in benches that hasn't been done before - but on the other there's no point blindly worshipping at somebody else's take on what the altar was, and only afterwards finding out the hard way that the bench you've spent a bundle of time and money on is really not well suited to your needs.

Similar really to the articles in the mags on machines and equipment which for different reasons rate kit against some set of criteria that's (just) maybe clear in the reviewer's head, but don't clearly state what these are - and spend even less time looking at how other solutions get the same jobs done, and to what standard and why.

With the result that you rarely ever really know where a given bit of kit fits in the broader scheme of things, either in terms of its cost or performance - or indeed of your own needs.

Schwarz doesn't get ideological about it, but instead in a very explicit way goes through the various work holding and supporting functions a combined hand and power tool user may need in a bench, looks at the various design features (traditional and modern) and bits of equipment available to achieve these, and rates the pros and cons of these in his opinion.

It's still not a black and white statement of what might suit you in your own working situation, but boy is it a big improvement over the usual - it really does leave you with at least a menu against which you can position your own needs, and (if you're prepared to put in the time to figure it out) make a decent shot at selecting the design features most suited to delivering these.

So top marks to Mr. Schwarz, mags please listen (Good Woodworking especially - the recent article on workbenches was to say the least superficial and typical of the problem described above) and my apologies for taking so long to say this...

So, what bench are you using at the moment? You must have some idea of its limitations and what you would like to achieve with your next one?

With the invention of Veritas' Wonder Dogs and other work-holding accessories, you could question whether you really need a fully functioning tail, end or wagon vice. One you've priced up all the hardware (?), you may find it costs the same to buy a Wonder Dog or Pup. :)

I haven't read Schwarz's book but I do agree with your thoughts on some of the other titles. Chris has a strong background in journalism, which I'm sure plays a part in his clear communication with the reader.

Hi Ondablade,

My present bench must be 60 years old and a new one is overdue! I thought I was too far along the road to build a new bench, so I considered buying. I see plenty that would suit me on features, but most of them are flimsy, unless I want to spring a four-figure sum! So I've been planning.

Aside from the obvious features, I realised I need specific things in mine. I have a cupboard underneath, because I am short on space for cupboards elsewhere. Now though it's difficult to get down to the cupboard and almost impossible to see right into it. So drawers on slides would be better.

I use a 'T' bar cramp in the vice to hold thin, longer stock, so a tail-vice or maybe a wagon-vice is planned. A maximum size of 5' 6" x 2' is another important consideration, so I can save more space. And so the ideas develop. If I do get around to it, then it will be an amalgam of my personal needs. Let's face it, I've had long enough to know what those needs are! I just have to hope the guy at my favourite yard is still available to help me choose some nice timber!

Chris Swarz's book? Well it's chock full of possibilities and it lives in my bedside cupboard!

All the best.
John

:ho2 :D

Hi John

You have probably seen me post these in my other thread but I wholeheartedly endorse the use of adjustable holdfasts:

DSC_0071.JPG

I picked these up on fleaBay for a song and they are far more robust than most newer models I have seen with the added advantage over Shepherd Hook ones that you can finely adjust the tension and as you can see below...the thickness of stock is not a problem:

DSC_0058.JPG

I recommend trying to get some of these...you will not regret it.

Jim

Back