GRP Fibreglass roof question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
My mother has just had an old felt flat roof replaced with a fibreglass one, reputable local roofer.

The job looks okay apart from there is a small area where I think the top coat looks a bit thin, am I right in thinking he can put a bit more top coat on this area, he's coming back next week to do a lead gutter so hopefully he can do it then.

I don't know much about fibreglass roofs (rooves :unsure:) so just thought I would ask the knowledgeable people on here before I phone him tomorrow.

Thanks, Doug

The ones I have done the top coat cannot be recoated once cured, it has to be ground off and patched in. Though I haven't done one for a couple of years and I know their new formulation is different, it may depend on the brand. The top coat is to provide UV protection and a decorative finish so it should be there but is not the main waterproofing part

I had a very old and, seriousply rotten in many parts, shed/garage fully rebuilt and then roofed using the Cure It product. Applied over OSB and does a superb job. Can be “patched” repaired if needs be. They have excellent videos re’ how to install it. Ideally it’s a two person job one to mix each batch ready to apply, the other to apply. It can be a one person job, but obviously a little slower.

I think some topcoats can be brought back to sticky using acetone. Definitely works with polyester resins ive used in the past......

fibreglass roof in 2015 - looked fine, is strong, but in heavy rain leaked - roofers (established company) tried to repair with new top coat - OK for a while then leak - say it's now out of guarantee - when I looked closely seemed to have micro-cracking in patches (extremely fine) -- last two years I have applied a coat of garage floor paint which in theory is for internal concrete floors - has survived walking on, downpours, UV, heat and icing and no leaks - but I think I'm going to repaint on a regular basis. (apart from brushing clean, I did no prep for the paint, which also looks rather good)

Last edited:
Back