Bird Poo & Roofing Felt

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve just finished my new man cave and about 2 months ago I had the roof felted 3 layers and torched on.

We were just fitting the final bit of guttering today and …. WTF? ….. lumps of bird pooh from where they sit in the overhanging trees landing on the felt was actually rotting the felt!

It was a Meldrew moment but with some Googling I found out that it is an actual thing, uric acid apparently.

Now, we can’t cut back the overhanging branches, a combination of trees far too big and a conservation area with a very spiky council overseer.

The only solution I can think of is to lay a sedum mat over the new felt to protect it from the inevitable ongoing onslaught.

But does anyone have any other ideas? Air rifles and flying kites/bird scarers have been considered.

Yep, that was an option but I was persuaded otherwise by the experts. You pays your money .. :sneaky:

Anyway, another idea is a sprinkling of limestone clippings over the dodgy areas. Any thoughts?

Air rifle will send them elsewhere eventually - my mates man cave was being bombarded by pigeons a few weeks with the air rifles soon sent them packing- they would perch on his aerial and c. R. A. P away ( not for sensitive neighbours) a less brutal way is to place a mock predator bird nearby ( hawk falcon) etc up high on or near the ridge of your house .

Edit not an expert on these matters but if you significantly disturb their roosting spot they will not feel safe and will hopefully move on .

Air rifle will send them elsewhere eventually - my mates man cave was being bombarded by pigeons a few weeks with the air rifles soon sent them packing- they would perch on his aerial and c. R. A. P away ( not for sensitive neighbours) a less brutal way is to place a mock predator bird nearby ( hawk falcon) etc up high on or near the ridge of your house .

Edit not an expert on these matters but if you significantly disturb their roosting spot they will not feel safe and will hopefully move on .
So those mock birds really work? My only concern is scaring all of the birds in the garden rather than just over the man cave.

So those mock birds really work? My only concern is scaring all of the birds in the garden rather than just over the man cave.
Yes that’s a possibility unfortunately -when on holiday a few years back ( butlins special) I spoke with a chap who was contracted to put falcons on the roof to stop the seagulls from nesting. I asked if it actually works and he said it was better than the fake birds because of the falcons call . I’m not surprised if those fake birds don’t have a distress call nowadays as that’s effectively what other birds respond to . .

Get a cat that likes climbing trees. Our old cat loved piegons, only ate the head and left the rest on the door mat.

Our shed is directly under a cherry tree. The shed has a felt roof and although it has a lot of bird poo the felt is still fine after 8 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20230630_075923777.jpg
    IMG_20230630_075923777.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
Back