Groves & Son Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww c'mon, that wasn't tempting him. That was just gazing into my crystal ball a litte and seeing the inevitable. :wink: Tempting him would have been explaining how sometimes it's nice to have different sizes of back saw, in both x-cut and rip, and different ppi too of course. And then showing him a few on-going auctions of likely candidates. Or saying I have a few spares myself, and if he'd like to PM me... :wink: :lol:

Now "Daddy has a Saw problem", that really IS a warning. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Byron,

I have the same set of chisels and I like them a lot. Only downside is the finish on the handles. Mine came with a really thick laquer on the steel that needed removing. I found some white spirit helped to get it off.

Hi Mudman, i'm quite lucky in the respect that the blades are un-tarnished, the handles are just horrible though, feels like they were coated in honey :)

I was just cleaning, organizing and deciding which saws I was keeping long term (trying to cut down the till's dimensions a bit)...There's the 4, 5 1/2 and 7 ppi rips that will stay. The 5 1/2, 7, 8 and 10 ppi crosscuts. And some duplicates in smaller panel saws for the tool box.

And then, unlike Byron :wink:, there are the several tenon, DT and 30" mitre box saws. And the four saw sets...and files, jointer.

And with all that, I still really like your saw, Byron.

Yup. Daddy's got a saw problem.

But as soon as I get it sorted out, I'm gonna get rid of all my extras. Yes sir, I am. :lol:

Mike

Ok, impressive collection Mike, maybe you could then advise me that if I do require other tenon/dovtail saws etc. What else other than the 20tpi Buck & Co above should I be looking for?

ByronBlack":20w61c1l said:
Ok, impressive collection Mike, maybe you could then advise me that if I do require other tenon/dovtail saws etc. What else other than the 20tpi Buck & Co above should I be looking for?
No! Don't do it, Byron. Step away from the edge, man, before it's too late. =;

Oh, the humanity... #-o

Hi Byron,

All funnin' aside, you only need what you are going to use in the here and now.

And trust me, in the pre-internet days you probably would not have had the opportunity to obtain the nice saw you won on the bay. Really. It most likely would have been a more recent vintage of dubious quality.

I still have a saw I got a billion years ago that would at best have been described as a handyman's saw. It is nicer than many sold today for the low-end market. It has been sharpened a few times and is a good saw today, if not a little ugly.

Needs develop over time and you will acquire more tools, let alone saws. It has taken many years and the graciousness of people through my life to have the tools I do have. Some came along before I had need. Most others came after truly needing it and anticipating a future need to arise.

As in all things--other than acquiring out of desire--my advice is to wait for a compelling need. Then, as you have done, seek out that balance between function and functional beauty. One always costs more than the other.

Anything else I say from here on out will be in the spirit of having fun with you...so listen more to the above than what will most likely follow as you seek advice in the future.

Take care, Mike

Back