• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ground screws for shed builders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used these for my shed - https://shedbasekits.com/product-category/quickjack-soft-surfaces/ - no special tools needed, just a large hammer to drive the screw pile into the ground. The compromise of course is that all that is holding the shed down is the relatively small contact area of the screws...
I used these, 16 of them, I don't think there's any chance of my shed blowing away, but it has sunk slightly on one side, owing to mole activity.

all that with tubes seems to defeat the principle of a pile. a pile relies on the depth of and the friction of the sides of the concrete on the hole in the ground
The sono tubes used thick compressed cardboard) are designed to hold the bored or dug hole open whilst the concrete sets …particularly on softer soils, The cardboard of course will degrade with the ground moisture and water from the concrete thus generating the concrete to ground high friction contact that traditional deep piles utilate,

The sono tubes used thick compressed cardboard) are designed to hold the bored or dug hole open whilst the concrete sets …particularly on softer soils, The cardboard of course will degrade with the ground moisture and water from the concrete thus generating the concrete to ground high friction contact that traditional deep piles utilate,
so you just do not build any thing till the friction action takes place. joke, piles are driven, concrete poured and a few days after the designed load is applied on top of the pile and any sinkage is detected with a dial gauge.that is if you want to trust your work.

Always bear in mind that concrete can take up to 28 days to full cure too
That's not quite true, concrete will increase in strength for a years, the 28day strength is the measurement used by Structural Engineers when calculating a structural component, now days compaction strength is generally not used, but a 30kg cement per CuM of concrete is specified, a few years since I did any calculations so may have changed.

True ….i did once read that the Hoover Dam concrete might still be reaching its max strength almost 100 years after being built

For my workshop build I used ground screws https://www.groundscrewcentre.co.uk/
They worked perfect for my 3 x 4 log cabin which was on a slight incline, 18 screws, combo of 500 & 750mm screws. They were relatively easy to install with the money back ratchet installation tool. No mess and concrete was pretty much a no no given the location.
The key thing is that after a year since build and a fully loaded shop, table saw, band saw, workbenches etc it hasn.t shifted a mm. I cant comment on the ones posted on facebook as I don't have facebook.
20221110_153441.jpg
1000000060.jpg
20221222_100339.jpg

For my workshop build I used ground screws https://www.groundscrewcentre.co.uk/
They worked perfect for my 3 x 4 log cabin which was on a slight incline, 18 screws, combo of 500 & 750mm screws. They were relatively easy to install with the money back ratchet installation tool. No mess and concrete was pretty much a no no given the location.
The key thing is that after a year since build and a fully loaded shop, table saw, band saw, workbenches etc it hasn.t shifted a mm. I cant comment on the ones posted on facebook as I don't have facebook.View attachment 176853View attachment 176854View attachment 176855
The big ones look similar to the ones I posted before, they can handle handle very large (10kw) solar panel arrays through cyclonic conditions lol

Latest posts

Back