Grip-a-disc stockists?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Having melted several velcro sanding pads I have decided to follow the guidance of the experts and get a Grip-a-disc system. Googling it found only Toolpost & Poolewood as stockists. Is this the only choice I have or is there another stockist hidden out there somewhere?

Just in case, is there something even better?

Pete

I always deal direct with Jill Piers, i have always found postage to be realistic.

Tel 01279 653760

See your PM.

Pete.You must have done the same search as me.
Just had the Axminster brochure through this morning and theres a bowl sander
here]
Any thoughts on this one anyone :?:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul,

I think that the main difference is that the sanding pads with Grip-a-fix are foam backed whereas the Axminster ones have the foam on the holder. Reading the blurb and Chas's in-depth analysis it seems that this eliminates my main problem, melting the pads and the velcro. Chas has researched this quite a lot, worth PM'ing him and asking his advice.

Pete

Following my experience with the Sorby version I would be very dubious of any system that had plain steel shafts running in a plain bearing block, be it brass or bronze bushed.

It is inevitable that dust and abrasive debris finds its way into the bearing interface and ether jams it up or rapidly modifies the fit.

(Applying lubricant to reduce the bearing friction results in at best sprayed black lubricant all over the place and at worst a more rapid modification of the bearing fit due to better abrasive cutting performance.)

There are several brands that have sealed ball bearings in the working head, these all rotate at much lighter pressure on the pad/workpiece and cause less heat build up.

The Grip-A Disc one seems the easiest to obtain in UK, with the added advantage of the foam backed pads, which although dearer than plain velcro sanding discs in my experience cause less aggravation on the compatibility front than the majority of velour? backed discs which are in the main cut from material more suited to larger contact area than a 50mm disc.

I must reiterate these are just my personal opinions based on the way I use sanding discs but I do not think I have distorted the facts.

I have found the best combination for me is a velcro faced pad with Hegner abrasive, cut square from the sheet, used in a battery powered drill. The finish is amazing. no need for long sanding periods or high pressure. I haven't located any Hegner product localy, am still using some I bought at a show.

HI

I use both the grip a disc and the ordinary velcro system and like both.

If I am power sanding, which I do rarely, I use the grip a disk as I find you don't get the build up of heat in the sanding pad, and as there is no rubber to melt one drill attachment has lasted me about 2 years and shows no sign of wear.

My preferred method of sanding is to use the passive system by either Axminster, as above, or Sorby, the Axminster is cheaper. I have had problems with one of the bowl sanders from Axminster when the bearing went on about its third use, so I rang them and they replaced it immediately with no problem. As I was waiting for the replacement I was at a show and brought the Sorby version. Unlike the Axminster this came with instructions and I realised I had been using it wrongly. You are not supposed to use it above 1000rpm and must oil it regalely. As I had never oiled it and used it on 2 of the 3 occasions at about 1700rpm this could be why it failed.

As Chas says the problem with oiling them is that it does make your hands and sometimes the work a bit dirty, to overcome this I have developed a system. I oil them last thing at night and leave them to soak overnight, before using them I wipe of any oil I can get to and them hold a piece of paper towel over the end for the first couple of uses until the excess oil has gone.

IMAG0296.jpg

As this is how I prefer to hold it whilst sanding it doesn't cause a problem. Also about once a month I take it apart and clean out any dust etc that has accumulated. Doing this keeps them running easily and I find I need very little pressure to get them turning on the work. The pad in this one is not the standard one but one of the Tim Shelton ones as I like the shape of it better and find it easier to get into tight curves etc than the standard one.

I also prefer the Hegner abrasive and find it not only gives a better finish but lasts longer as well. You can get it direct from Hegner or from John Berkley who sells it at the same price. http://www.johnberkeley.co.uk/gallery4.htm

john

Thank you for the link John, will get some Hegner abrasive on order and give it a try.

I am currently using up a batch of Rhino brand, (ex aus imports) which performs better than most I have tried, I think it is manufactured in portugal, not seen it on sale elsewhere.

HI Chas

Its the same stuff, after aus imp went out of buisness Hegner took over the distribution in this country. John is the only outlet I know off apart from direct from Hegner but they don't have it on their web site.

The only difference is the 600, 800 & 1200 grit are not sponge back anymore they are the standard velcro backing. But in my opinion they are better than the sponge back ones.

john

Well I must be a cheap skate I cut my discs from a good quality sand paper then glue them to the foam pad with the aid of a hot melt glue gun, then when I want to change it a quick gentle heat with the hot air gun peel off the sanding disc then stick on anotherone before the glue cools, I can do this about three times before having to re apply glue and as we have most of these tools in the cupboard and the sand paper it makes it cheap as chips

i dont use anyone else for sandpaper, he stocks grip a disc - i have found he cant be beaten - and is very helpful aswell

The Sandpaper Supply Co
33, Precinct St, Coupar Angus, Blairgowrie, Perthshire PH13 9DG
Tel: 01828 627124

Back